For as long as I can remember, I’ve been throwing out those tiny packets of silica gel. We find them in appliance or electronics boxes to prevent moisture from damaging them as they are transported from the manufacturer to store shelves.
For this reason, they are handy for nearly any application where you would like to prevent moisture. Whether it’s placing a packet in your photo boxes or protecting documents from moisture damage, here are 22 silica gel uses you can use today!
Note: While silica gel is non-toxic, it should be kept away from children as the packets are a choking hazard.
1) The most obvious silica gel uses are to use them whenever you store something.
While many packets are marked to throw away, you can use them when storing items inside boxes. They will kill bacteria or prevent any from forming and will also absorb any moisture.
2) Preserve your Christmas ornaments by keeping them dry.
Many ornaments have glue or fabrics on them and keeping them dry will allow you to display your favorite ornaments for years to come.
3) Keep your books looking newer longer with silica gel.
When it comes to paper, moisture is the enemy. Keep a couple of packets in your library to absorb any excess moisture.
4) Store your wet vacation clothes safely.
If you hit the beach on vacation but don’t have time to dry your clothes, simply put the items in a plastic bag with a few packets of silica gel to prevent mold or funky odors from forming.
5) Help keep your camera clean and dry with silica gel.
While many cameras are waterproof, even those that aren’t should be kept moisture-free. Keep a packet in your camera case to ensure your camera is always kept dry and moisture-free.
6) Dry out your waterproof camera after a day of shooting in the elements or underwater.
Even waterproof cameras can be damaged by condensation so help keep them dry by storing them with some packets of silica gel. As an added bonus, it will also help the lens stay clean by preventing water stains.
7) Keep your clothes smelling fresh and clean with silica gel.
Keep a packet in your clothes drawer or gym bag to prevent odor-causing bacteria from forming.
8) Protect windows from condensation.
If you notice your windows are always fogging up, it’s because you have excess moisture. Help absorb some of that moisture and prevent mold by placing some silica gel packets on your window sills.
9) Make your razor blades last longer with silica gel.
Silica gel absorbs moisture so it’s effective in preventing rust. Store razor blades in an airtight container with a few packets to prevent them from rusting and becoming dull prematurely.
10) Prevent bulk pet food from getting soggy.
Like any food bought in bulk, it eventually gets moist and loses its freshness the longer we keep it. Keep your dog or cat’s food stay fresh by storing it in a bin and taping a packet of silica gel to the inside of the lid.
11) Prevent fog or ice buildup on the inside of your windshield with silica gel.
Ever wonder why you have fog or you sometimes have to scrape your windshield on the inside? As the moisture from your car mats or seats evaporates, it increases the humidity in your car and steams up your windshield and car windows. Keep a few packets on your dash or cup holders to help absorb excess moisture.
12) Prevent mold from destroying your seedlings when gardening.
Moisture is the enemy when storing seeds since you don’t want them germinating early or growing mold. Store them in an airtight container with a packet of silica gel until you’re ready to plant them.
13) Extend the life of your Halloween carved pumpkin with silica gel.
Prevent your Halloween pumpkin from rotting too quickly by tearing open a packet and embedding the silica beads inside your pumpkin. A little goes a long way and you’ll generally only need a few beads.
14) Keep your hearing aid working perfectly.
If you wear hearing aids, help prevent moisture from getting in and damaging the electronics. Routinely store them in an airtight container with a packet of silica gel, especially if you live in a damp climate.
15) Prevent corrosion on your silver jewelry with silica gel.
Place one or more packets in your jewelry box to prevent corrosion on silver or other jewelry. This can save you so much money too by preserving your jewelry.
16) Preserve freshness when storing medicine and supplements.
Prevent mold and spoilage by adding a packet of silica gel to your pill or supplement bottles if they don’t have one already.
17) Keep your memories preserved and free of moisture with silica gel.
Moisture can seep into photographs and make them stick together over time. Pulling them apart can produce rips or tears in your priceless photographs. Prevent this by slipping a packet in your photo boxes.
18) Prevent moisture from damaging your important documents.
When storing important documents, throw a couple of silica gel packets in your filing cabinet to help prevent moisture and keep documents dry.
19) Quickly dry your flowers for craft projects with silica gel.
If you want to speed up the process of drying flowers, put them in a plastic bag with silica gel to dry them quickly.
20) Salvage any electronics you may have dropped in water.
If you accidentally drop your phone or other electronics in water, dry them off immediately and remove the battery. Then, put them in an airtight container with several packets of silica gel and store overnight to help remove additional moisture before turning it on again.
21) Extend the shelf life of your makeup with silica gel.
Your makeup needs to stay dry to remain useful so keep a packet in your makeup bag.
22) Keep your clothes looking newer longer.
Keep your clothes looking like new and prevent moisture from breaking down clothing fibers by hanging a packet of silica gel on a few hangers. Alternatively, you can also create sachets with dried flowers and a packet of silica gel to make your closet smell great.
When storing your silica gel packets, simply store them in an airtight container and they’ll be ready to use anytime. Please share these helpful silica gel uses with your friends and family.