We all buy or have bought bottled water for the sake of convenience. Or we buy it because we’ve been made to believe that it is better than tap water. Even though there has never been any proof that water sold in plastic containers is better than tap water, many people remain skeptical of tap water.
While there have been incidents of a water crisis like in Flint, Michigan, the vast majority of North America has a robust infrastructure to deliver clean, fresh drinkable water to its residents. While it is easier to just grab a plastic bottle instead of filling a reusable container with tap water, here are 8 eye-opening reasons to stop buying bottled water.
1) Plastic bottles, even BPA-Free varieties, can leach chemicals into its contents.
You’re probably aware of BPA, the compound found in some plastics that mimic estrogen. While many plastic producers now manufacture BPA-free bottles, NPR has reported that many other chemicals other than BPA leaches its way out of your plastic bottles. It’s possibly one of the reasons why drinking water from plastic containers left out in the sun too long tends to have a chemical aftertaste.
Researchers of the study found that over 70% of the 450+ plastic bottles they tested contained chemicals that also acted like estrogen. They concluded that even plastic bottles labeled BPA-free may contain other dangerous chemicals or compounds.
2) Most of the bottled water on store shelves is tap water anyways.
You may have already heard the joke that EVIAN spelled backward is N-A-I-V-E. While amusing, it’s actually the town the spring is located in. But while some bottled water is actually spring water, as many as 64% of all brands are simply glorified tap water according to EcoWatch. Brands like Aquafina and Dasani have even included labels on their products letting consumers know that their water is taken from a ‘public water source.’
Many water brands even put pictures of an oasis or an isolated lake in a jungle on their marketing material; however, chances are, it’s just plain tap water. And bottled water costs 2000 times more!
3) Tap water is actually safer than bottled water.
It’s no secret that the bottled water industry is not as tightly regulated as tap water from your municipal water system. According to the NRDC, tap water has to be tested at least 100 times every month and many cities may test their water as many as 5-6 times a day. On the other hand, bottled water companies are required to test their water for bacteria only once a week.
In other words, they have different regulations when it comes to water quality. So the next time you see the word “pure” on a water bottle label, you may want to investigate further.
4) Bottled water isn’t healthier or superior to tap water.
Thanks to slick marketing campaigns by the water bottle industry, many consumers are convinced that water sold in plastic bottles is healthier or better than tap water. This just isn’t true.
Referring back to the report by the NRDC, a four-year review of 1,000 water bottles did not find any evidence that bottled water was superior to tap water. In fact, researchers found that 22 percent of the water brands tested contained chemicals at levels above state health limits.
5) Plastic bottle production is bad for the environment.
Plastic bottles are made by converting natural resources like crude oil, natural gas, or coal to produce polymers or plastic. According to a fact sheet from the Pacific Institute, it takes 17 million barrels of oil yearly to produce enough plastic bottles for the American market alone.
It also takes 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of bottled water because ironically, it also takes water to produce plastic water bottles.
6) Landfills (and the ocean) are getting filled with bottles.
All of the resources needed to produce plastic bottles and where do they end up? Our landfills and the ocean at an increasingly alarming rate. Most bottles are PET (polyethylene terephthalate) bottles which means they can be recycled. Unfortunately, only 1 in 6 bottles ever makes it to the recycling center. The others end up in your local landfill.
According to estimates by The Water Project, U.S. landfills are overflowing with over 2 million tons of PET plastic products. Unfortunately, it’s no longer landfills that feel the effects of our plastic society. Plastic Oceans estimates that over 8 million tons of plastic are dumped into our oceans every year. Some estimate that by 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
7) Bottled water is ridiculously expensive.
Many people complain about the price of gasoline; however, it’s more likely cheaper anywhere in the country compared to the same amount of bottled water. While the average price for a gallon of fuel is $3.97, the average price for a gallon of water sold in bottles is $10.67. It’s even more shocking when you compare it to a gallon of tap water which costs less than a penny.
Food & Water Watch reports that bottled water costs thousands of times more than regular tap water. No matter how much your municipal taxes are, your water bill is only a tiny fraction of what it would cost for the same amount of bottled water.
8) Bottled water contains tiny bits of plastic.
Because of all the plastic waste that ends up in our oceans, tiny bits of plastic are now finding their way into water bottles. According to the CBC, microplastics were found in 93% of all plastic water bottles tested in a recent study. In other studies, microplastics were also found in most brands of sea salt.
Eleven brands were tested including Nestle Pure Life, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, San Pellegrino, and Gerolsteiner. All of them contained some level of microplastics such as polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate. I like to enjoy my water with a little ice but hold the plastic, please!
H/t: Little Things
There are instances where drinking bottled water makes more sense like if you get your water from a well; however if your water comes from a treated local water supply, tap water couldn’t be safer or healthier. If you have to choose between water or a sugary drink, obviously water is the clearer choice (no pun intended). But choosing tap water over water sold in bottles is a no-brainer.
Need to take water on the go?
Simply purchase refillable water containers and they’ll pay for themselves the first time you use them!
- INSULATED SPORTS WATER BOTTLE: Goodbye sweat! The double wall insulation makes the Iron Flask sweat-free! It keeps your drink COLD for up to 24 hours, and HOT for up to 12 hours. *NOTE: ONLY the 14 Oz, 18 Oz, & 22 Oz fit in cupholders*
- 3 LIDS: YES, Iron Flask comes with THREE different 100% LEAK PROOF lids. Carabiner Straw Lid with 2 Straws, Flip Lid, and a Stainless Steel Lid! *NOTE: The stainless steel lid is plastic from inside and stainless steel from outside*
- 18/8 PREMIUM STAINLESS STEEL: The Iron Flask is made of 18/8 Stainless steel that is 100% BPA free and non-toxic. It will never leave a metal taste or rust. HAND WASH ONLY WITH SOAPY HOT WATER!
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN: The powder coat exterior finish is a classic. It assures that you stand out with a very durable and elegant bottle. Our logo is now LASER ENGRAVED to assure the highest quality as well.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We guarantee that the high quality Iron Flask bottle will surely please you! If, for any reason, you are not 100% satisfied with the Iron Flask, we will issue you a full refund or an exchange!
- 【Motivational Quote & Time Marker】With unique inspirational quote and time marker on it,this water bottle is great for measuring your daily intake of water,reminding you stay hydrated and drink enough water throughout the day.A must have for any fitness goals including weight loss and overall health.
- 【1 Gallon Large Capacity】Large 128oz capacity ensures you enjoy one full water bottle/jug without having to refill it frequently.Featured with measuring scale help you check the actual amount of water intake easily and clearly.Wide-mouth opening is easy to fill with ice cubes and clean.
- 【Distinct Design & Portable】The flip top lid is designed with secure lock make it dust and leak proof.One removable straw allows you to enjoy spill-proof sipping.It can also be used without straw,a dual-purpose water bottle.With a portable wrist strap,hidden loop handle and anti skid grip design,it gives you three ways to carry it to anywhere.Perfect for gym,workout,office and any outdoor recreations.
- 【BPA Free & Ideal Gift】 Made of quality food grade eco-friendly reusable tritan co-polyester plastic,this water bottle is 100% BPA & TOXIN FREE,odour free and healthy for your daily water drinking.Comes with a variety of vibrant colors,it is an ideal for your beloved ones,to help them keep hydrated and healthy.
- 【Purchase Tips & Use Note】If there is any problem,just contact with us,we will handle with it immediately.Note for Use:Not for Dishwasher!
- Straw Lid is leakproof and makes cold refreshment that much easier
- Carry loop makes Straw Lid easy to transport and comfortable to carry
- Honeycomb Insulated cap for maximum temperature retention
- Made with 18/8 pro-grade stainless steel to ensure durability, pure taste and no flavor transfer
- TempShield insulation keeps beverages cold up to 24 hours and hot up to 12 hours
- 💦 Innovative Time Marker : With unique inspirational quote and time marker on it ,our 32oz water bottles will no doubt help you measuring your daily intake of water and motivate you to drink more. This water bottle is perfect for those who want the extra encouragement to drink more water to nourish the skin, improve their immunity and metabolism.
- 💦 Detailed Design : Simply open with one hand by clicking the button, the flip top lid is equipped with a secure lock, making it dust-proof and leak-proof. Besides, our water jug is made of frosted material, which is pleasant to the touch. Comfortable carry strap enables you to carry your bottle easily when you go out. In addition, wide mouth with filter ensures you to add enough ice cubes and fruits and keeps you hydrated throughout the day.
- 💦 BPA & TOXIN FREE : Crafted with quality food grade and reusable Tritan plastic, this 32 ounce water bottle is 100% BPA&TOXIN FREE, odour free, and safer for you to use on a daily basis. It is a great choice for anyone to pursue a healthy lifestyle.
- 💦 Ideal Gift Choice : Our motivational water bottles come in a range of colors and 32oz large capacity. Whether your family and friends are into fitness, cycling, hiking or camping, or simply enjoying a good workout at the gym or office every now and then, they will all love your gift idea!
- 💦 Satisfactory Customer Service : We are committed to providing high-quality products and bringing comfort and pleasure to customers. If you are not 100% satisfied with this motivational water bottle, please do not hesitate to contact us immediately, we will issue you a full refund or an exchange!
- Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel: The Summit Water Bottle is double walled and vacuum insulated, which keeps your favorite beverage at its ideal temperature for hours.
- Summit Straw Lid: Our BPA-Free Summit Straw Lid is leak proof when the nozzle is in the closed position and is dishwasher safe on the top rack; US Patent Pending
- Summit Straw Lid Usage: Because the straw lid is leak-proof when closed, we do not recommend using it for hot or carbonated beverages due to pressure that may build up within your bottle, which could cause spills.
- Cupholder Friendly Sizes: The 14-22oz Summit Water Bottles fit in most cupholders, whereas the 32-128oz Summit Water Bottles do not fit in most cupholders.
- We Exist to Give Generously: Simple Modern is built on serving you, offering remarkable value, and giving more than 10% of profit. All products are covered by a limited lifetime warranty.
Please share these important reasons to stop buying water bottles with your friends and family.
Last update on 2022-05-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API