We all buy or have bought bottled water for the sake of convenience. Or we buy it because we’ve been made to believe that it is better than tap water. Even though there has never been any proof that bottled water is better than tap water, many people remain skeptical of tap water.
While there have been incidents of a water crisis like in Flint, Michigan, the vast majority of North America has a robust infrastructure to deliver clean, fresh drinkable water to its residents. While it is easier to just grab a plastic bottle instead of filling a reusable container with tap water, here are 8 eye-opening reasons to stop buying bottled water.
1) Plastic bottles, even BPA-Free varieties, can leach chemicals into its contents.
You’re probably aware of BPA, the compound found in some plastics that mimic estrogen. While many plastic bottle producers now manufacture BPA-free bottles, NPR has reported that many other chemicals other than BPA leaches its way out of your plastic water bottles. It’s possibly one of the reasons why drinking water from plastic bottles left out in the sun too long tends to have a chemical aftertaste.
Researchers of the study found that over 70% of the 450+ plastic bottles they tested contained chemicals that also acted like estrogen. They concluded that even plastic bottles labeled BPA-free may contain other dangerous chemicals or compounds.
2) Most of the bottled water on store shelves is tap water anyways.
You may have already heard the joke that EVIAN spelled backward is N-A-I-V-E. While amusing, it’s actually the town the spring is located in. But while some bottled water is actually spring water, as many as 64% of all brands of bottled water is simply glorified tap water according to EcoWatch. Brands like Aquafina and Dasani have even included labels on their bottles letting consumers know that their water is taken from a ‘public water source.’
Many water brands even put pictures of an oasis or an isolated lake in a jungle on their bottles; however, chances are, it’s just plain tap water. And bottled water costs 2000 times more!
3) Tap water is actually safer than bottled water.
It’s no secret that the bottled water industry is not as tightly regulated as tap water from your municipal water system. According to the NRDC, tap water has to be tested at least 100 times every month and many cities may test their water as many as 5-6 times a day. On the other hand, bottled water companies are required to test their water for bacteria only once a week.
In other words, they have different regulations when it comes to water quality. So the next time you see the word “pure” on a water bottle label, you may want to investigate further.
4) Bottled water isn’t healthier or superior to tap water.
Thanks to slick marketing campaigns by the water bottle industry, many consumers are convinced that bottled water is healthier or better than tap water. This just isn’t true.
Referring back to the report by the NRDC, a four-year review of 1,000 water bottles did not find any evidence that bottled water was superior to tap water. In fact, researchers found that 22 percent of the water brands tested contained chemicals at levels above state health limits.
5) Plastic bottle production is bad for the environment.
Plastic bottles are made by converting natural resources like crude oil, natural gas, or coal to produce polymers or plastic. According to a fact sheet from Pacific Institute, it takes 17 million barrels of oil yearly to produce enough plastic bottles for the American market alone.
It also takes 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of bottled water because ironically, it also takes water to produce plastic water bottles.
6) Landfills (and the ocean) are getting filled with water bottles.
All of the resources needed to produce water bottles and where do they end up? Our landfills and the ocean at an increasingly alarming rate. Most bottles are PET (polyethylene terephthalate) bottles which means they can be recycled. Unfortunately, only 1 in 6 bottles ever makes it to the recycling center. The others end up in your local landfill.
According to estimates by The Water Project, U.S. landfills are overflowing with over 2 million tons of PET plastic bottles. Unfortunately, it’s no longer landfills that feel the effects of our plastic society. Plastic Oceans estimates that over 8 million tons of plastic are dumped into our oceans every year. Some estimate that by 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
7) Bottled water is ridiculously expensive.
Many people complain about the price of gasoline; however, it’s more likely cheaper anywhere in the country compared to the same amount of bottled water. While the average price for a gallon of fuel is $3.97, the average price for a gallon of bottled water is $10.67. It’s even more shocking when you compare it to a gallon of tap water which costs less than a penny.
Food & Water Watch reports that bottled water costs thousands of times more than regular tap water. No matter how much your municipal taxes are, your water bill is only a tiny fraction of what it would cost for the same amount of bottled water.
8) Bottled water contains tiny bits of plastic.
Because of all the plastic waste that ends up in our oceans, tiny bits of plastic are now finding their way into water bottles. According to the CBC, microplastics were found in 93% of all plastic water bottles tested in a recent study. In other studies, microplastics were also found in most brands of sea salt.
Eleven brands were tested including Nestle Pure Life, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, San Pellegrino and Gerolsteiner. All of them contained some level of microplastics such as polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate. I like to enjoy my water with a little ice but hold the plastic, please!
H/t: Little Things
There are instances where drinking bottled water makes more sense like if you get your water from a well; however if your water comes from a treated local water supply, tap water couldn’t be safer or healthier. If you have to choose between a bottle of water or a sugary drink, obviously water is the clearer choice (no pun intended). But choosing tap water over bottled water is a no-brainer.
Need to take water on the go?
Simply purchase refillable water containers and they’ll pay for themselves the first time you use them!
- Just the Right Bite: Combining the patented CamelBak Big Bite Valve with a stem tube and shut-off valve, this detachable one-piece component is simple for kids to use and simple for parents to clean.
- Never Spill: Easy for small fingers to operate.
- Safe and Easy: Simplified stem and straw are child-safe yet easy to remove for cleaning. All parts are dishwasher safe (top rack only).
- Stain-resistant and taste-free Tritan is 100% Free of BPA, BPS and BPF. Kid-sized, fun and easy to clean, this bottle is ready for any adventure.
- Not suitable for children under 3 years.
- Stay Open flip cap allows you to carry more while hands are full
- Classic screw on lids and secure flip cap keep your gym bag and car seat dry
- Blender Ball whips around inside the bottle as you shake
- Easy to clean, dishwasher safe; Made from high quality materials making them BPA and Phthalate free
- Embossed ounce and milliliter markings; Holds 28 oz. not including blender ball and powders/supplements
- DAILY TIME MARKED WATER BOTTLE:(Have 43OZ and 1 gallon water bottle,please choose correct size what you need)Now, it's even easier to hydrate with the perfect amount of water each day(Warmly Notice:this bottle is plastic and big, easy to squeeze and dent in the shipping. If it was damaged accidently when you receive, please contact us immediately).It high quality drink reminder water bottle with convenient hourly time markers to help you boost your daily water intake.
- NEW EXCLUSIVE DESIGN:Available Here Only! You'll be inspired to want to drink more water with the encouraging quote reminder of the daily benefits - with every sip, you're nourishing your skin, your hair, your mind and your body.
- MOTIVATIONAL:This water bottle with times on it is great motivation for any fitness goal including weight loss, tracking water intake during a detox or pregnancy. Great fitness gift idea to encourage loved ones, so DRINK UP and hydrate together.
- BPA FREE & NO CHEMICAL TASTE OR ODORS:Eco-friendly, leak proof, reusable with hour markings is made from PETG plastic. Enjoy the durabilty and ease of a plastic bottle, free from plastic taste and odors.
- Easy to Clean with Baking Soda and Vinegar.PLEASE NOTE:DO NOT FALL,DO NOT DISHWASHER, NOT HOT LIQUID.
- DESIGN IN MIND: With it's easy-access wide mouth, the sleek design holds the same volume of liquid as other leading water bottle brands. Also, safety is top-of-mind, as the bottles are made out of non-toxic BPA-free plastics & 18/8 food-grade stainless steel.
- SLIP-FREE GRIP: Unlike other leading water bottles, Hydro Flask has a powder coat, which gives you a solid grip. The Powder Coat works with the premium TempShield insulation, which prevents condensation from forming on the outside of the bottle, to give you exactly what you want in an everyday refreshment delivery system.
- JUST THE RIGHT SIZE: Meets your everyday hydration needs in one container, all while keeping it piping hot or ice cold and fitting comfortable and conveniently in your hand or your vehicles' cup holders. The wide mouth aspect also fits most backcountry water filters.
- INSULATION INNOVATION: The double-walled, vacuum insulated TempShield Insulation, the same technology used in all Hydro Flask products, will ensure that your beverage of choice maintains its temperature for many hours to come. Hot drinks up to 6 hours, and cold drinks up to 24 hours.
- INSULATED, FLEXIBLE, AND BUILT TO LAST: Designed with stainless steel pivots and a flexible strap, this cap moves when you do. Plus, it's made with Honeycomb Insulation to keep drinks cold up to 24 hours or hot up to 12 - no matter what the weather's doing outside.
- Vacuum Insulated: Simple Modern Summit bottles are double walled and vacuum insulated, which will keep your favorite beverage hot or cold for hours
- Matte Powder Coated 18/8 Stainless Steel: Bottle is made from premium gauge 18/8 stainless steel and is powder coated in a durable matte finish
- 2 Lids Included: 14oz, 18oz, 22oz, & 32oz bottles all come with our Stainless Steel Lid and splash proof Flip Lid for hot beverages
- Premium Copper Coated Insulation Layer: The exterior of the inner wall, in the vacuum sealed area, is coated in a thin layer of copper for added insulation
- Why Simple Modern: Our core principles of Generosity and Excellence have inspired us to sell high quality products, act as great partners with everyone we interact with, and give away a minimum of 10% of our profits
Please share these important reasons to stop buying water bottles with your friends and family.