We all buy or have bought bottled water for the sake of convenience. Or we buy it because we’ve been made to believe that it is better than tap water. Even though there has never been any proof that water sold in plastic containers is better than tap water, many people remain skeptical of tap water.
While there have been incidents of a water crisis like in Flint, Michigan, the vast majority of North America has a robust infrastructure to deliver clean, fresh drinkable water to its residents. While it is easier to just grab a plastic bottle instead of filling a reusable container with tap water, here are 8 eye-opening reasons to stop buying bottled water.
1) Plastic bottles, even BPA-Free varieties, can leach chemicals into its contents.
You’re probably aware of BPA, the compound found in some plastics that mimic estrogen. While many plastic producers now manufacture BPA-free bottles, NPR has reported that many other chemicals other than BPA leaches its way out of your plastic bottles. It’s possibly one of the reasons why drinking water from plastic containers left out in the sun too long tends to have a chemical aftertaste.
Researchers of the study found that over 70% of the 450+ plastic bottles they tested contained chemicals that also acted like estrogen. They concluded that even plastic bottles labeled BPA-free may contain other dangerous chemicals or compounds.
2) Most of the bottled water on store shelves is tap water anyways.
You may have already heard the joke that EVIAN spelled backward is N-A-I-V-E. While amusing, it’s actually the town the spring is located in. But while some bottled water is actually spring water, as many as 64% of all brands are simply glorified tap water according to EcoWatch. Brands like Aquafina and Dasani have even included labels on their products letting consumers know that their water is taken from a ‘public water source.’
Many water brands even put pictures of an oasis or an isolated lake in a jungle on their marketing material; however, chances are, it’s just plain tap water. And bottled water costs 2000 times more!
3) Tap water is actually safer than bottled water.
It’s no secret that the bottled water industry is not as tightly regulated as tap water from your municipal water system. According to the NRDC, tap water has to be tested at least 100 times every month and many cities may test their water as many as 5-6 times a day. On the other hand, bottled water companies are required to test their water for bacteria only once a week.
In other words, they have different regulations when it comes to water quality. So the next time you see the word “pure” on a water bottle label, you may want to investigate further.
4) Bottled water isn’t healthier or superior to tap water.
Thanks to slick marketing campaigns by the water bottle industry, many consumers are convinced that water sold in plastic bottles is healthier or better than tap water. This just isn’t true.
Referring back to the report by the NRDC, a four-year review of 1,000 water bottles did not find any evidence that bottled water was superior to tap water. In fact, researchers found that 22 percent of the water brands tested contained chemicals at levels above state health limits.
5) Plastic bottle production is bad for the environment.
Plastic bottles are made by converting natural resources like crude oil, natural gas, or coal to produce polymers or plastic. According to a fact sheet from the Pacific Institute, it takes 17 million barrels of oil yearly to produce enough plastic bottles for the American market alone.
It also takes 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of bottled water because ironically, it also takes water to produce plastic water bottles.
6) Landfills (and the ocean) are getting filled with bottles.
All of the resources needed to produce plastic bottles and where do they end up? Our landfills and the ocean at an increasingly alarming rate. Most bottles are PET (polyethylene terephthalate) bottles which means they can be recycled. Unfortunately, only 1 in 6 bottles ever makes it to the recycling center. The others end up in your local landfill.
According to estimates by The Water Project, U.S. landfills are overflowing with over 2 million tons of PET plastic products. Unfortunately, it’s no longer landfills that feel the effects of our plastic society. Plastic Oceans estimates that over 8 million tons of plastic are dumped into our oceans every year. Some estimate that by 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
7) Bottled water is ridiculously expensive.
Many people complain about the price of gasoline; however, it’s more likely cheaper anywhere in the country compared to the same amount of bottled water. While the average price for a gallon of fuel is $3.97, the average price for a gallon of water sold in bottles is $10.67. It’s even more shocking when you compare it to a gallon of tap water which costs less than a penny.
Food & Water Watch reports that bottled water costs thousands of times more than regular tap water. No matter how much your municipal taxes are, your water bill is only a tiny fraction of what it would cost for the same amount of bottled water.
8) Bottled water contains tiny bits of plastic.
Because of all the plastic waste that ends up in our oceans, tiny bits of plastic are now finding their way into water bottles. According to the CBC, microplastics were found in 93% of all plastic water bottles tested in a recent study. In other studies, microplastics were also found in most brands of sea salt.
Eleven brands were tested including Nestle Pure Life, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, San Pellegrino, and Gerolsteiner. All of them contained some level of microplastics such as polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate. I like to enjoy my water with a little ice but hold the plastic, please!
H/t: Little Things
There are instances where drinking bottled water makes more sense like if you get your water from a well; however if your water comes from a treated local water supply, tap water couldn’t be safer or healthier. If you have to choose between water or a sugary drink, obviously water is the clearer choice (no pun intended). But choosing tap water over water sold in bottles is a no-brainer.
Need to take water on the go?
Simply purchase refillable water containers and they’ll pay for themselves the first time you use them!
- 24-ounce insulated stainless-steel water bottle with a FreeSip spout and push-button lid with lock
- Patented FreeSip spout designed for either sipping upright through the built-in straw or tilting back to swig from the spout opening
- Protective push-to-open lid keeps spout clean; convenient carry loop doubles as a lock
- Double-wall insulation keeps drinks cold for up to 24 hours; wide opening for cleaning and adding ice; cup holder-friendly base
- BPA and phthalate-free; hand wash cup, dishwasher-safe lid; not for use with hot liquids
- 【Stay Motivated and Hydrated】- Featuring time-stamped encouragement phrases, our water bottle will remind you to keep drinking until you hit your daily hydration goals, perfect for fitness, weight loss, muscle gain, appetite control and overall health.
- 【Funtional Design】- The flip top lid is designed with a secure lock, making it dust and leak proof. Simply open with one hand by clicking the button. With a removable strainer, it is easy to infuse fruit & tea in your drink. The mouth is wide enough to fit ice cubes, also easy to clean.
- 【Hydrate in Style】- With each bottle's trendy design, using of gradient colours, you can express your personality with a color design that suits your unique character, style and aesthetic taste.Giotto, home of the reusable water bottle, revolutionize the way we hydrate and change perceptions on how health looks and feels.
- 【Ideal Gift Choice】- Coming with 32oz large capacity and made of quality tritan co-polyester plastic, this water bottle is 100% BPA & TOXIN FREE,odour free which is the best present idea for yourselves, friends, family members, coworkers, women and men who enjoy a healthy lifestyle.
- 【Purchase Tips】- If there is any problem, just contact with us, We offer unconditional replacement and 24 hours customer service
- VACUUM INSULATED WATER BOTTLE: Double wall insulation maintains temperatures inside regardless of the temperature outside— maintains temperature and keeps drinks cold for up to 24 hours and hot for up to 12 hours
- FOOD SAFE STAINLESS STEEL CONSTRUCTION: Rust-resistant, food grade stainless steel water bottle; metal construction inside and out for long-lasting, fresh tasting flavor
- LEAK-PROOF SCREW TOP LID: An airtight seal eliminates accidental spills and maintains a leak-proof drinking bottle; BPA-free, phthalate-free, and toxin-free makes these reusable water bottles a healthy choice
- SWEAT FREE AND TRAVEL READY: Two-ply construction eliminates condensation and water build-up so taking these travel bottles on the go is easy and mess free—no water rings or slippery hands
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND DURABLE: The revolutionary lightweight design is stylish and easy to handle featuring a narrow mouth for spill-free drinking; fits most cup holders and makes a perfect travel companion
- DOUBLE WALL - Crafted with double walls, Beverages will be kept hot for up to 12 hours and cold for up to 24! The double wall feature prevents condensation and burns, retaining the temperature of your beverage.
- TRIPLE LIDS - The drinking bottle is equipped with three individual lids to serve all your needs. Use the one with the mouthpiece for sipping hot drinks, the one with the straw is just right for cold beverages, and the removable lid is what you need for drinks containing ice or fruit.
- LEAK-PROOF and SHATTER-PROOF - The bottle is absolutely leakproof and shatterproof, making it the choice for rough-and-tumble use. Perfect for hiking, biking, boating, the gym, work, school, and home. The bottle is safe in backpacks, beach bags, or the edge of your countertop. Please note: They are not dishwasher safe.
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY - A built-in handle enables you to carry it with ease or attach it to a backpack, and the large capacity makes it perfect for when you are hiking, biking, camping, or running.
- PREMIUM STAINLESS STEEL - Protect the environment and your own health by daring the switchover from plastic to stainless. Our drinking bottles are produced of superior 18/8 stainless steel, free of BPA or any other toxins. They last an average of 12 years and won’t grow mold or retain previous flavors.
- Ideal for lunch bags, purses and briefcases
- Made from sturdy and stylish Tritan
- Great to have while working out or in the cup holder when you are on the go
- Chug-style lid has a leak proof cover and is great for fast hydration
- BPA, phthalates, PVC, lead and cadmium free
Please share these important reasons to stop buying water bottles with your friends and family.
Last update on 2022-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API