We all buy or have bought bottled water for the sake of convenience. Or we buy it because we’ve been made to believe that it is better than tap water. Even though there has never been any proof that bottled water is better than tap water, many people remain skeptical of tap water.
While there have been incidents of a water crisis like in Flint, Michigan, the vast majority of North America has a robust infrastructure to deliver clean, fresh drinkable water to its residents. While it is easier to just grab a plastic bottle instead of filling a reusable container with tap water, here are 8 eye-opening reasons to stop buying bottled water.
1) Plastic bottles, even BPA-Free varieties, can leach chemicals into its contents.
You’re probably aware of BPA, the compound found in some plastics that mimic estrogen. While many plastic bottle producers now manufacture BPA-free bottles, NPR has reported that many other chemicals other than BPA leaches its way out of your plastic water bottles. It’s possibly one of the reasons why drinking water from plastic bottles left out in the sun too long tends to have a chemical aftertaste.
Researchers of the study found that over 70% of the 450+ plastic bottles they tested contained chemicals that also acted like estrogen. They concluded that even plastic bottles labeled BPA-free may contain other dangerous chemicals or compounds.
2) Most of the bottled water on store shelves is tap water anyways.
You may have already heard the joke that EVIAN spelled backward is N-A-I-V-E. While amusing, it’s actually the town the spring is located in. But while some bottled water is actually spring water, as many as 64% of all brands of bottled water is simply glorified tap water according to EcoWatch. Brands like Aquafina and Dasani have even included labels on their bottles letting consumers know that their water is taken from a ‘public water source.’
Many water brands even put pictures of an oasis or an isolated lake in a jungle on their bottles; however, chances are, it’s just plain tap water. And bottled water costs 2000 times more!
3) Tap water is actually safer than bottled water.
It’s no secret that the bottled water industry is not as tightly regulated as tap water from your municipal water system. According to the NRDC, tap water has to be tested at least 100 times every month and many cities may test their water as many as 5-6 times a day. On the other hand, bottled water companies are required to test their water for bacteria only once a week.
In other words, they have different regulations when it comes to water quality. So the next time you see the word “pure” on a water bottle label, you may want to investigate further.
4) Bottled water isn’t healthier or superior to tap water.
Thanks to slick marketing campaigns by the water bottle industry, many consumers are convinced that bottled water is healthier or better than tap water. This just isn’t true.
Referring back to the report by the NRDC, a four-year review of 1,000 water bottles did not find any evidence that bottled water was superior to tap water. In fact, researchers found that 22 percent of the water brands tested contained chemicals at levels above state health limits.
5) Plastic bottle production is bad for the environment.
Plastic bottles are made by converting natural resources like crude oil, natural gas, or coal to produce polymers or plastic. According to a fact sheet from Pacific Institute, it takes 17 million barrels of oil yearly to produce enough plastic bottles for the American market alone.
It also takes 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of bottled water because ironically, it also takes water to produce plastic water bottles.
6) Landfills (and the ocean) are getting filled with water bottles.
All of the resources needed to produce water bottles and where do they end up? Our landfills and the ocean at an increasingly alarming rate. Most bottles are PET (polyethylene terephthalate) bottles which means they can be recycled. Unfortunately, only 1 in 6 bottles ever makes it to the recycling center. The others end up in your local landfill.
According to estimates by The Water Project, U.S. landfills are overflowing with over 2 million tons of PET plastic bottles. Unfortunately, it’s no longer landfills that feel the effects of our plastic society. Plastic Oceans estimates that over 8 million tons of plastic are dumped into our oceans every year. Some estimate that by 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
7) Bottled water is ridiculously expensive.
Many people complain about the price of gasoline; however, it’s more likely cheaper anywhere in the country compared to the same amount of bottled water. While the average price for a gallon of fuel is $3.97, the average price for a gallon of bottled water is $10.67. It’s even more shocking when you compare it to a gallon of tap water which costs less than a penny.
Food & Water Watch reports that bottled water costs thousands of times more than regular tap water. No matter how much your municipal taxes are, your water bill is only a tiny fraction of what it would cost for the same amount of bottled water.
8) Bottled water contains tiny bits of plastic.
Because of all the plastic waste that ends up in our oceans, tiny bits of plastic are now finding their way into water bottles. According to the CBC, microplastics were found in 93% of all plastic water bottles tested in a recent study. In other studies, microplastics were also found in most brands of sea salt.
Eleven brands were tested including Nestle Pure Life, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, San Pellegrino and Gerolsteiner. All of them contained some level of microplastics such as polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate. I like to enjoy my water with a little ice but hold the plastic, please!
H/t: Little Things
There are instances where drinking bottled water makes more sense like if you get your water from a well; however if your water comes from a treated local water supply, tap water couldn’t be safer or healthier. If you have to choose between a bottle of water or a sugary drink, obviously water is the clearer choice (no pun intended). But choosing tap water over bottled water is a no-brainer.
Need to take water on the go?
Simply purchase refillable water containers and they’ll pay for themselves the first time you use them!
- Includes Ultramax dispenser with Brita and Sapphire filters
- SPACE EFFICIENT: The BPA-Free UltraMax Water Dispenser holds 18 cups or 1.13 gallons of water which is great for families and fits neatly on countertops and refrigerator shelves. Height 10.47"; Width 5.67"; Length/Depth 14.37"; Weight 3 pounds
- CLEANER AND GREAT TASTING: The Brita standard filter reduces chlorine (taste and odor), copper, mercury, zinc and cadmium impurities found in tap water for cleaner great tasting water for the whole family. *Substances reduced may not be in all users' water
- FILTER CHANGE REMINDER: A helpful sticker indicator on the water dispenser lets you keep track of when you last changed your water filter and when it needs to be replaced. Replace Brita filters every 40 gallons or every 2 months
- INSTANT POUR: This large, 18 cup filtered water dispenser has a spigot that makes pouring easy. With the flip top lid, refilling is a breeze
- KIDS' SPILL-PROOF WATER BOTTLE: The CamelBak Eddy 0.4-Liter Kids' Water Bottle is specifically designed for smaller hands to use. It features easy-to-use parts and is made from high-quality, safe, and easy-to-clean materials.
- JUST THE RIGHT BITE: This water bottle for kids combines the patented CamelBak Big Bite Valve with a stem tube and shut-off valve. This detachable one-piece component is simple for kids to use and simple for parents to clean.
- BPA-FREE MATERIALS: The Eddy 12-ounce kids' water bottle is made from Tritan plastic that is 100% free of BPA, BPS, and BPF. It's dishwasher safe, and all parts are easy to remove for simple clean-up.
- COLORFUL AND PRACTICAL: CamelBak has developed this Eddy kids' water bottle with a spill-resistant design and fun graphics to keep you and your kids happy and hydrated. The simplified stem and straw are child-safe yet easy to remove for cleaning.
- IF WE BUILD IT - WE'LL BAK IT: Our Got Your Bak Lifetime Guarantee covers all reservoirs, backpacks, bottles, and accessories from manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product.
- SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY PRICE! SPORTS WATER BOTTLE INSULATED: Goodbye sweat! The double wall insulation makes the Iron Flask sweat-free! It keeps your drink COLD for up to 24 hours, and HOT for up to 12 hours. *NOTE: ONLY the 14 Oz, 18 Oz, & 22 Oz fit in cupholders*
- 3 LIDS: YES, Iron Flask comes with THREE different lids. Carabiner Straw Lid with 2 Straws, Flip Lid, and a Stainless Steel Lid! *NOTE: The stainless steel lid is plastic from inside and stainless steel from outside*
- 18/8 PREMIUM STAINLESS STEEL: The Iron Flask is made of 18/8 Stainless steel that is 100% BPA free and non-toxic. It will never leave a metal taste or rust. HAND WASH ONLY WITH SOAPY HOT WATER!
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN: The powder coat exterior finish is a classic. It assures that you stand out with a very durable and elegant bottle. Our logo is now LASER ENGRAVED to assure the highest quality as well.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We guarantee that the high quality Iron Flask bottle will surely please you! If, for any reason, you are not 100% satisfied with the Iron Flask, we will issue you a full refund or an exchange!
- Leapfrog Brands
- COMES W/BONUS CAP - PLEASE SEE PHOTOS. Each bottle comes with two lids. The Hydro Cell Water Bottle comes standard with an attached stainless-steel screw cap which creates an air tight vacuum seal and is great for travel and outdoor adventures. The Hydro Cell also comes with a bonus Sport Cap w/ Straw, this lid is not 100% air tight due to the moving parts and is great for athletics and urban specific activity.
- NO SWEAT, NO PROBLEMS - This water bottle comes with the highest grade 18/8 Stainless Steel available which is fully resistant to oxidation and corrosion. The anti-slip layer of Powder Coating ensures you hang on to your bottle during a work out, hike or yoga. Hydro Cell is perfect companion for all activities.
- ENGINEERED TO KEEP LIQUIDS PERFECTLY COLD OR HOT - The water bottle comes double walled and vacuum sealed to make sure you experience zero condensation and the temperatures of your beverages last in an insulated chamber. Cold liquids stay cold for 24 hours, and hot liquids will stay piping hot for up to 8 hours making it the perfect sports or commuting bottle. Our manufacturing process has been innovated to ensure your bottle NEVER sweats or leaks.
- BPA & BY-PRODUCT FREE- The stainless steel will allow you to avoid BPA and Plastic By-Products found is so many bottles today. The Hydro Cell ensures your reusable water bottle avoid the polymers, plasticizers and other synthetic elements found in other bottles.
- HIGHEST QUALITY GUARANTEED - The Hydro Cell is unrivaled in quality and the brand is committed to purity in base materials and production standards. The Hydro Cell Team offers superior customer service, high-quality materials, and a life-time warranty.
Please share these important reasons to stop buying water bottles with your friends and family.