We all buy or have bought bottled water for the sake of convenience. Or we buy it because we’ve been made to believe that it is better than tap water. Even though there has never been any proof that bottled water is better than tap water, many people remain skeptical of tap water.
While there have been incidents of a water crisis like in Flint, Michigan, the vast majority of North America has a robust infrastructure to deliver clean, fresh drinkable water to its residents. While it is easier to just grab a plastic bottle instead of filling a reusable container with tap water, here are 8 eye-opening reasons to stop buying bottled water.
1) Plastic bottles, even BPA-Free varieties, can leach chemicals into its contents.
You’re probably aware of BPA, the compound found in some plastics that mimic estrogen. While many plastic bottle producers now manufacture BPA-free bottles, NPR has reported that many other chemicals other than BPA leaches its way out of your plastic water bottles. It’s possibly one of the reasons why drinking water from plastic bottles left out in the sun too long tends to have a chemical aftertaste.
Researchers of the study found that over 70% of the 450+ plastic bottles they tested contained chemicals that also acted like estrogen. They concluded that even plastic bottles labeled BPA-free may contain other dangerous chemicals or compounds.
2) Most of the bottled water on store shelves is tap water anyways.
You may have already heard the joke that EVIAN spelled backward is N-A-I-V-E. While amusing, it’s actually the town the spring is located in. But while some bottled water is actually spring water, as many as 64% of all brands of bottled water is simply glorified tap water according to EcoWatch. Brands like Aquafina and Dasani have even included labels on their bottles letting consumers know that their water is taken from a ‘public water source.’
Many water brands even put pictures of an oasis or an isolated lake in a jungle on their bottles; however, chances are, it’s just plain tap water. And bottled water costs 2000 times more!
3) Tap water is actually safer than bottled water.
It’s no secret that the bottled water industry is not as tightly regulated as tap water from your municipal water system. According to the NRDC, tap water has to be tested at least 100 times every month and many cities may test their water as many as 5-6 times a day. On the other hand, bottled water companies are required to test their water for bacteria only once a week.
In other words, they have different regulations when it comes to water quality. So the next time you see the word “pure” on a water bottle label, you may want to investigate further.
4) Bottled water isn’t healthier or superior to tap water.
Thanks to slick marketing campaigns by the water bottle industry, many consumers are convinced that bottled water is healthier or better than tap water. This just isn’t true.
Referring back to the report by the NRDC, a four-year review of 1,000 water bottles did not find any evidence that bottled water was superior to tap water. In fact, researchers found that 22 percent of the water brands tested contained chemicals at levels above state health limits.
5) Plastic bottle production is bad for the environment.
Plastic bottles are made by converting natural resources like crude oil, natural gas, or coal to produce polymers or plastic. According to a fact sheet from Pacific Institute, it takes 17 million barrels of oil yearly to produce enough plastic bottles for the American market alone.
It also takes 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of bottled water because ironically, it also takes water to produce plastic water bottles.
6) Landfills (and the ocean) are getting filled with water bottles.
All of the resources needed to produce water bottles and where do they end up? Our landfills and the ocean at an increasingly alarming rate. Most bottles are PET (polyethylene terephthalate) bottles which means they can be recycled. Unfortunately, only 1 in 6 bottles ever makes it to the recycling center. The others end up in your local landfill.
According to estimates by The Water Project, U.S. landfills are overflowing with over 2 million tons of PET plastic bottles. Unfortunately, it’s no longer landfills that feel the effects of our plastic society. Plastic Oceans estimates that over 8 million tons of plastic are dumped into our oceans every year. Some estimate that by 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
7) Bottled water is ridiculously expensive.
Many people complain about the price of gasoline; however, it’s more likely cheaper anywhere in the country compared to the same amount of bottled water. While the average price for a gallon of fuel is $3.97, the average price for a gallon of bottled water is $10.67. It’s even more shocking when you compare it to a gallon of tap water which costs less than a penny.
Food & Water Watch reports that bottled water costs thousands of times more than regular tap water. No matter how much your municipal taxes are, your water bill is only a tiny fraction of what it would cost for the same amount of bottled water.
8) Bottled water contains tiny bits of plastic.
Because of all the plastic waste that ends up in our oceans, tiny bits of plastic are now finding their way into water bottles. According to the CBC, microplastics were found in 93% of all plastic water bottles tested in a recent study. In other studies, microplastics were also found in most brands of sea salt.
Eleven brands were tested including Nestle Pure Life, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, San Pellegrino and Gerolsteiner. All of them contained some level of microplastics such as polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate. I like to enjoy my water with a little ice but hold the plastic, please!
H/t: Little Things
There are instances where drinking bottled water makes more sense like if you get your water from a well; however if your water comes from a treated local water supply, tap water couldn’t be safer or healthier. If you have to choose between a bottle of water or a sugary drink, obviously water is the clearer choice (no pun intended). But choosing tap water over bottled water is a no-brainer.
Need to take water on the go?
Simply purchase refillable water containers and they’ll pay for themselves the first time you use them!
- Vacuum Insulated: Simple Modern licensed drinkware is double walled and vacuum insulated, which keeps your favorite beverage hot or cold for hours
- Matte Powder Coated 18/8 Stainless Steel: Bottle is made from premium gauge 18/8 stainless steel and is powder coated in a durable matte finish
- 2 Lids Included: all bottles come with our Stainless Steel Lid and leak proof Flip Lid
- Premium Copper Coated Insulation Layer: The exterior of the inner wall, in the vacuum sealed area, is coated in a thin layer of copper for added insulation
- Why Simple Modern: Our core principles of Generosity and Excellence have inspired us to sell high quality products, act as great partners with everyone we interact with, and give away a minimum of 10% of our profits
- Flow on - wide mouth for high flow and fast hydration; push it-push button to open spout
- Lock it up - button lock gives you added peace of mind
- Built to last - shatter-, stain- and Odor-resistant; BPA-free plastic
- Carry on - clip-on carry handle for easy transport; clean up - top-rack dishwasher safe
- Vacuum Insulated: Simple Modern drinkware is double walled and vacuum insulated, which keeps your favorite beverage cold for hours.
- Matte Powder Coated 18/8 Stainless Steel: Bottle is made from premium gauge 18/8 stainless steel and is powder coated in a durable matte finish.
- Leak Proof Straw Lid: Built for easy drinking on the go, the lid is leak proof when the nozzle is in the closed position. US Patent Pending.
- Not Intended for Hot Liquids: Pressure may build within the bottle causing leaks or spills.
- Why Simple Modern: Our Generosity & Excellence core principles lead us to sell quality products, partner with others, and donate over 10% of profits.
- THERMALOCK double walled vacuum insulation keeps drinks cold up to 28 hours
- One hand operated AUTOSEAL button seals the lid between sips to eliminate spills and leaks
- Protective spout cover keeps dirt and germs off mouthpiece for cleaner drinking
- Integrated carrying handle for easy transport
- Top rack dishwasher safe lid; hand wash only body
- DESIGN IN MIND: Standard Mouth is ideal for sipping, while still accommodating ice cubes. Also, safety is top-of-mind, as the bottles are made out of non-toxic BPA-free plastics & 18/8 food-grade stainless steel.
- SLIP-FREE GRIP: Unlike other leading water bottles, Hydro Flask has a powder coat, which gives you a solid grip. The Powder Coat works with the premium TempShield insulation, which prevents condensation from forming on the outside of the bottle, to give you exactly what you want in an everyday refreshment delivery system.
- JUST THE RIGHT SIZE: Meets your everyday hydration needs in one container, all while keeping it piping hot or ice cold and fitting comfortably and conveniently in your hand or your vehicles' cup holders and bicycle bottle racks.
- INSULATION INNOVATION: The double-walled, vacuum insulated TempShield Insulation, the same technology used in all Hydro Flask products, will ensure that your beverage of choice maintains its temperature for many hours to come. Hot drinks up to 6 hours, and cold drinks up to 24 hours.
- INSULATED, FLEXIBLE, AND BUILT TO LAST: Designed with stainless steel pivots and a flexible strap, this cap moves when you do. Plus, it's made with Honeycomb Insulation to keep drinks cold up to 24 hours or hot up to 12 - no matter what the weather's doing outside.
Please share these important reasons to stop buying water bottles with your friends and family.