We all buy or have bought bottled water for the sake of convenience. Or we buy it because we’ve been made to believe that it is better than tap water. Even though there has never been any proof that water sold in plastic containers is better than tap water, many people remain skeptical of tap water.
While there have been incidents of a water crisis like in Flint, Michigan, the vast majority of North America has a robust infrastructure to deliver clean, fresh drinkable water to its residents. While it is easier to just grab a plastic bottle instead of filling a reusable container with tap water, here are 8 eye-opening reasons to stop buying bottled water.
1) Plastic bottles, even BPA-Free varieties, can leach chemicals into its contents.
You’re probably aware of BPA, the compound found in some plastics that mimic estrogen. While many plastic producers now manufacture BPA-free bottles, NPR has reported that many other chemicals other than BPA leaches its way out of your plastic bottles. It’s possibly one of the reasons why drinking water from plastic containers left out in the sun too long tends to have a chemical aftertaste.
Researchers of the study found that over 70% of the 450+ plastic bottles they tested contained chemicals that also acted like estrogen. They concluded that even plastic bottles labeled BPA-free may contain other dangerous chemicals or compounds.
2) Most of the bottled water on store shelves is tap water anyways.
You may have already heard the joke that EVIAN spelled backward is N-A-I-V-E. While amusing, it’s actually the town the spring is located in. But while some bottled water is actually spring water, as many as 64% of all brands are simply glorified tap water according to EcoWatch. Brands like Aquafina and Dasani have even included labels on their products letting consumers know that their water is taken from a ‘public water source.’
Many water brands even put pictures of an oasis or an isolated lake in a jungle on their marketing material; however, chances are, it’s just plain tap water. And bottled water costs 2000 times more!
3) Tap water is actually safer than bottled water.
It’s no secret that the bottled water industry is not as tightly regulated as tap water from your municipal water system. According to the NRDC, tap water has to be tested at least 100 times every month and many cities may test their water as many as 5-6 times a day. On the other hand, bottled water companies are required to test their water for bacteria only once a week.
In other words, they have different regulations when it comes to water quality. So the next time you see the word “pure” on a water bottle label, you may want to investigate further.
4) Bottled water isn’t healthier or superior to tap water.
Thanks to slick marketing campaigns by the water bottle industry, many consumers are convinced that water sold in plastic bottles is healthier or better than tap water. This just isn’t true.
Referring back to the report by the NRDC, a four-year review of 1,000 water bottles did not find any evidence that bottled water was superior to tap water. In fact, researchers found that 22 percent of the water brands tested contained chemicals at levels above state health limits.
5) Plastic bottle production is bad for the environment.
Plastic bottles are made by converting natural resources like crude oil, natural gas, or coal to produce polymers or plastic. According to a fact sheet from the Pacific Institute, it takes 17 million barrels of oil yearly to produce enough plastic bottles for the American market alone.
It also takes 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of bottled water because ironically, it also takes water to produce plastic water bottles.
6) Landfills (and the ocean) are getting filled with bottles.
All of the resources needed to produce plastic bottles and where do they end up? Our landfills and the ocean at an increasingly alarming rate. Most bottles are PET (polyethylene terephthalate) bottles which means they can be recycled. Unfortunately, only 1 in 6 bottles ever makes it to the recycling center. The others end up in your local landfill.
According to estimates by The Water Project, U.S. landfills are overflowing with over 2 million tons of PET plastic products. Unfortunately, it’s no longer landfills that feel the effects of our plastic society. Plastic Oceans estimates that over 8 million tons of plastic are dumped into our oceans every year. Some estimate that by 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
7) Bottled water is ridiculously expensive.
Many people complain about the price of gasoline; however, it’s more likely cheaper anywhere in the country compared to the same amount of bottled water. While the average price for a gallon of fuel is $3.97, the average price for a gallon of water sold in bottles is $10.67. It’s even more shocking when you compare it to a gallon of tap water which costs less than a penny.
Food & Water Watch reports that bottled water costs thousands of times more than regular tap water. No matter how much your municipal taxes are, your water bill is only a tiny fraction of what it would cost for the same amount of bottled water.
8) Bottled water contains tiny bits of plastic.
Because of all the plastic waste that ends up in our oceans, tiny bits of plastic are now finding their way into water bottles. According to the CBC, microplastics were found in 93% of all plastic water bottles tested in a recent study. In other studies, microplastics were also found in most brands of sea salt.
Eleven brands were tested including Nestle Pure Life, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, San Pellegrino, and Gerolsteiner. All of them contained some level of microplastics such as polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate. I like to enjoy my water with a little ice but hold the plastic, please!
H/t: Little Things
There are instances where drinking bottled water makes more sense like if you get your water from a well; however if your water comes from a treated local water supply, tap water couldn’t be safer or healthier. If you have to choose between water or a sugary drink, obviously water is the clearer choice (no pun intended). But choosing tap water over water sold in bottles is a no-brainer.
Need to take water on the go?
Simply purchase refillable water containers and they’ll pay for themselves the first time you use them!
- DOUBLE WALL - Crafted with double walls, Beverages will be kept hot for up to 12 hours and cold for up to 24! The double wall feature prevents condensation and burns, retaining the temperature of your beverage.
- TRIPLE LIDS - The drinking bottle is equipped with three individual lids to serve all your needs. Use the one with the mouthpiece for sipping hot drinks, the one with the straw is just right for cold beverages, and the removable lid is what you need for drinks containing ice or fruit.
- LEAK-PROOF and SHATTER-PROOF - The bottle is absolutely leakproof and shatterproof, making it the choice for rough-and-tumble use. Perfect for hiking, biking, boating, the gym, work, school, and home. The bottle is safe in backpacks, beach bags, or the edge of your countertop. Please note: They are not dishwasher safe.
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY - A built-in handle enables you to carry it with ease or attach it to a backpack, and the large capacity makes it perfect for when you are hiking, biking, camping, or running.
- PREMIUM STAINLESS STEEL - Protect the environment and your own health by daring the switchover from plastic to stainless. Our drinking bottles are produced of superior 18/8 stainless steel, free of BPA or any other toxins. They last an average of 12 years and won’t grow mold or retain previous flavors.
- 【Motivational Quote & Time Marker】32 oz water bottle with unique inspiration quote and time marker, reminding you to stay hydrated. The capacity marker helps you tracking daily water intake. A silicone straw makes you enjoy spill-proof sipping without effort. A necessary have for people of different occupations such as athletes and white-collar workers.
- 【Buckle Handle Design】Our water bottle with carrying strap and release buckle, you can choose hands-free or handle type, convenient for you to connect 32 oz water bottle to your backpack, bike, or travel bag. Featuring a wide mouth opening, easy to clean and add ice. Ideal for travel, hiking, gym, and any indoor & outdoor activities.
- 【Humanized Design】Open with one hand by clicking the button to access water. Highly suitable for boys and girls, and all ages. The flip-top lid is used a secure lock, making it dust-free and leak-proof. The frosted texture of the water bottle allows you to hold it better.
- 【Bisphenol and Toxin Free】Made of highly durable, crystal clear, and BPA-free co-polyester plastic. A high-quality water bottle can keep you safe and secure during use. Suitable for both warm and cold beverages (-40 to 212°F).
- 【Details and Guarantee】Upgraded in details, color matching, won't cause aesthetic fatigue. We pay attention to buyer's experience and provide a 100% service guarantee. If you are interested in our products, feel free to contact us.
- XL 32oz capacity for big thirsts
- Hard chug spout stays completely covered and yuck-free during transport
- All parts dishwasher safe and BPA free
- Soft touch carry loop perfect for on-the-go
- 💦 Innovative Time Marker : With unique inspirational quote and time marker on it ,our 32oz water bottles will no doubt help you measuring your daily intake of water and motivate you to drink more. This water bottle is perfect for those who want the extra encouragement to drink more water to nourish the skin, improve their immunity and metabolism.
- 💦 Detailed Design : Simply open with one hand by clicking the button, the flip top lid is equipped with a secure lock, making it dust-proof and leak-proof. Besides, our water jug is made of frosted material, which is pleasant to the touch. Comfortable carry strap enables you to carry your bottle easily when you go out. In addition, wide mouth with filter ensures you to add enough ice cubes and fruits and keeps you hydrated throughout the day.
- 💦 BPA & TOXIN FREE : Crafted with quality food grade and reusable Tritan plastic, this 32 ounce water bottle is 100% BPA&TOXIN FREE, odour free, and safer for you to use on a daily basis. It is a great choice for anyone to pursue a healthy lifestyle.
- 💦 Ideal Gift Choice : Our motivational water bottles come in a range of colors and 32oz large capacity. Whether your family and friends are into fitness, cycling, hiking or camping, or simply enjoying a good workout at the gym or office every now and then, they will all love your gift idea!
- 💦 Satisfactory Customer Service : We are committed to providing high-quality products and bringing comfort and pleasure to customers. If you are not 100% satisfied with this motivational water bottle, please do not hesitate to contact us immediately, we will issue you a full refund or an exchange!
- Double Wall Insulation: Keeps beverages at ideal temperatures for hours
- BPA-Free: Comes with a BPA-free Straw Lid and Chug Lid that is dishwasher safe on the top rack
- Leakproof: Offers a tight seal to prevent spills and leaks; Not recommended for hot or carbonated beverages
- Personalize: 32oz Summit inlcudes straw and chug lid for drinking preference
- Limited Lifetime Warranty & Patent Pending
Please share these important reasons to stop buying water bottles with your friends and family.
Last update on 2023-02-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API