We all buy or have bought bottled water for the sake of convenience. Or we buy it because we’ve been made to believe that it is better than tap water. Even though there has never been any proof that water sold in plastic containers is better than tap water, many people remain skeptical of tap water.
While there have been incidents of a water crisis like in Flint, Michigan, the vast majority of North America has a robust infrastructure to deliver clean, fresh drinkable water to its residents. While it is easier to just grab a plastic bottle instead of filling a reusable container with tap water, here are 8 eye-opening reasons to stop buying bottled water.
1) Plastic bottles, even BPA-Free varieties, can leach chemicals into its contents.
You’re probably aware of BPA, the compound found in some plastics that mimic estrogen. While many plastic producers now manufacture BPA-free bottles, NPR has reported that many other chemicals other than BPA leaches its way out of your plastic bottles. It’s possibly one of the reasons why drinking water from plastic containers left out in the sun too long tends to have a chemical aftertaste.
Researchers of the study found that over 70% of the 450+ plastic bottles they tested contained chemicals that also acted like estrogen. They concluded that even plastic bottles labeled BPA-free may contain other dangerous chemicals or compounds.
2) Most of the bottled water on store shelves is tap water anyways.
You may have already heard the joke that EVIAN spelled backward is N-A-I-V-E. While amusing, it’s actually the town the spring is located in. But while some bottled water is actually spring water, as many as 64% of all brands are simply glorified tap water according to EcoWatch. Brands like Aquafina and Dasani have even included labels on their products letting consumers know that their water is taken from a ‘public water source.’
Many water brands even put pictures of an oasis or an isolated lake in a jungle on their marketing material; however, chances are, it’s just plain tap water. And bottled water costs 2000 times more!
3) Tap water is actually safer than bottled water.
It’s no secret that the bottled water industry is not as tightly regulated as tap water from your municipal water system. According to the NRDC, tap water has to be tested at least 100 times every month and many cities may test their water as many as 5-6 times a day. On the other hand, bottled water companies are required to test their water for bacteria only once a week.
In other words, they have different regulations when it comes to water quality. So the next time you see the word “pure” on a water bottle label, you may want to investigate further.
4) Bottled water isn’t healthier or superior to tap water.
Thanks to slick marketing campaigns by the water bottle industry, many consumers are convinced that water sold in plastic bottles is healthier or better than tap water. This just isn’t true.
Referring back to the report by the NRDC, a four-year review of 1,000 water bottles did not find any evidence that bottled water was superior to tap water. In fact, researchers found that 22 percent of the water brands tested contained chemicals at levels above state health limits.
5) Plastic bottle production is bad for the environment.
Plastic bottles are made by converting natural resources like crude oil, natural gas, or coal to produce polymers or plastic. According to a fact sheet from the Pacific Institute, it takes 17 million barrels of oil yearly to produce enough plastic bottles for the American market alone.
It also takes 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of bottled water because ironically, it also takes water to produce plastic water bottles.
6) Landfills (and the ocean) are getting filled with bottles.
All of the resources needed to produce plastic bottles and where do they end up? Our landfills and the ocean at an increasingly alarming rate. Most bottles are PET (polyethylene terephthalate) bottles which means they can be recycled. Unfortunately, only 1 in 6 bottles ever makes it to the recycling center. The others end up in your local landfill.
According to estimates by The Water Project, U.S. landfills are overflowing with over 2 million tons of PET plastic products. Unfortunately, it’s no longer landfills that feel the effects of our plastic society. Plastic Oceans estimates that over 8 million tons of plastic are dumped into our oceans every year. Some estimate that by 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
7) Bottled water is ridiculously expensive.
Many people complain about the price of gasoline; however, it’s more likely cheaper anywhere in the country compared to the same amount of bottled water. While the average price for a gallon of fuel is $3.97, the average price for a gallon of water sold in bottles is $10.67. It’s even more shocking when you compare it to a gallon of tap water which costs less than a penny.
Food & Water Watch reports that bottled water costs thousands of times more than regular tap water. No matter how much your municipal taxes are, your water bill is only a tiny fraction of what it would cost for the same amount of bottled water.
8) Bottled water contains tiny bits of plastic.
Because of all the plastic waste that ends up in our oceans, tiny bits of plastic are now finding their way into water bottles. According to the CBC, microplastics were found in 93% of all plastic water bottles tested in a recent study. In other studies, microplastics were also found in most brands of sea salt.
Eleven brands were tested including Nestle Pure Life, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, San Pellegrino, and Gerolsteiner. All of them contained some level of microplastics such as polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate. I like to enjoy my water with a little ice but hold the plastic, please!
H/t: Little Things
There are instances where drinking bottled water makes more sense like if you get your water from a well; however if your water comes from a treated local water supply, tap water couldn’t be safer or healthier. If you have to choose between water or a sugary drink, obviously water is the clearer choice (no pun intended). But choosing tap water over water sold in bottles is a no-brainer.
Need to take water on the go?
Simply purchase refillable water containers and they’ll pay for themselves the first time you use them!
- Hydration made simple: The Camelbak chute mag is a BPA Free water bottle that is leak Proof when closed; It delivers high water flow without a mess and is lightweight, durable, and dishwasher safe
- Magnetic handle : this camelbak chute mag water bottle features a universal cap that is engineered with a magnetic handle that keeps the cap stowed while drinking; the universal cap is compatible with eddy+ and hot cap vessels
- Easy to clean & BPA free : This camelbak water bottle is made from high quality materials that are simple to clean; plastic materials are 100 percent free of BPA, BPS and BPF
- Convenient to use : the chute mag water bottles include an ergonomic high flow spout; it also includes a handle designed so you can carry it easily
- If we build it we'll back it : our got your back lifetime guarantee covers all reservoirs, backpacks, bottles, and accessories from manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product
- 【Motivational Quote & Time Marker】With unique inspirational quote and time marker on it, this water bottle is great for measuring your daily intake of water, reminding you stay hydrated and drink enough water throughout the day. A must have for any fitness goals including weight loss and overall health.
- 【64OZ Large Capacity】Large half gallon capacity ensures you enjoy one full water bottle/jug without having to refill it frequently.Featured with measuring scale help you check the actual amount of water intake easily and clearly. Wide-mouth opening is easy to fill with ice cubes and clean.
- 【Distinct Design & Portable】The flip top lid is designed with secure lock make it dust and leak proof.One removable straw allows you to enjoy spill-proof sipping or fast water flow.It can also be used without straw,a dual-purpose water bottle.With a portable wrist strap and anti skid grip design,it makes you easier to carry it to anywhere.Perfect for gym, workout,office and any outdoor recreations.
- 【BPA Free & Ideal Gift】 Made of quality food grade eco-friendly reusable tritan co-polyester plastic, this water bottle is 100% BPA & TOXIN FREE,odour free and healthy for your daily water drinking. Comes with a variety of vibrant colors, it is an ideal for your beloved ones, to help them keep hydrated and healthy.
- 【Purchase Tips & Use Note】-If there is any problem, just contact with us, we will handle with it immediately.Note for Use: Not for Dishwasher!
- 25 percent more flow: Flip open the bite valve and sip
- Leak proof: leak proof when closed, spill proof when open
- Easy to carry: two finger carry loop handle
- Easy to clean: cap and bottle are dishwasher safe
- BPA free. Established by spectrographic testing on all plastics used in camelbak products to verify that BPA is not detected at one part per million or greater
- 【Motivational Quote & Time Marker】With unique inspirational quote and time markers,this water bottle is great for measuring your daily intake of water,reminding you stay hydrated and drink enough water throughout the day.A must have for any fitness goals including weight loss,appetite control and overall health.
- 【Distinct Carry Design】Designed with detachable paracord handle, which is made of the highest quality ropes, makes this 128 oz water bottle comfortable and fashionable to carry around. When disassembled, the Paracord handle can be used as a rope that can be stretched for 10-15 feet. With an hidden loop handle and anti skid grip design give you another two options to carry it in different occasions.
- 【1 Gallon Large Capacity】Large 128 OZ capacity ensures you enjoy one full water bottle/jug without having to refill it frequently.Featured with measuring scale help you check the actual amount of water intake easily and clearly. Suitable for running,hiking, cycling, travel and any outdoor activities
- 【BPA Free & Convenient Design】 Made of quality food grade eco-friendly reusable tritan plastic, this water bottle is 100% BPA & TOXIN FREE,odour free and healthy for your daily water drinking. Dust free cap with a seal ring makes it 100% leakproof. One removable straw allows you to enjoy spill-proof sipping.It can also be used without straw,a dual-purpose water bottle. The wide mouth design make the water bottle easier to fill with ice cubes or fruit.
- 【Ideal Gift & Use Tips】Comes with a variety of vibrant colors, it is an ideal for your beloved ones, to help them keep hydrated and healthy! Do not drop it;Not dishwasher safe;Clean with baking soda and vinegar.
- COMES W/BONUS CAP – PLEASE SEE PHOTOS. Each bottle comes with two lids. The Hydro Cell Water Bottle comes standard with an attached stainless-steel screw cap which creates an air tight vacuum seal and is great for travel and outdoor adventures. The Hydro Cell also comes with a bonus Sport Cap w/ Straw, this lid is not 100% air tight due to the moving parts and is great for athletics and urban specific activity.
- NO SWEAT, NO PROBLEMS – This water bottle comes with the highest grade 18/8 Stainless Steel available which is fully resistant to oxidation and corrosion. The anti-slip layer of Powder Coating ensures you hang on to your bottle during a work out, hike or yoga. Hydro Cell is perfect companion for all activities.
- ENGINEERED TO KEEP LIQUIDS PERFECTLY COLD OR HOT – The water bottle comes double walled and vacuum sealed to make sure you experience zero condensation and the temperatures of your beverages last in an insulated chamber. Cold liquids stay cold for 24 hours, and hot liquids will stay piping hot for up to 8 hours making it the perfect sports or commuting bottle. Our manufacturing process has been innovated to ensure your bottle NEVER sweats or leaks.
- BPA & BY-PRODUCT FREE- The stainless steel will allow you to avoid BPA and Plastic By-Products found is so many bottles today. The Hydro Cell ensures your reusable water bottle avoid the polymers, plasticizers and other synthetic elements found in other bottles.
- HIGHEST QUALITY GUARANTEED - The Hydro Cell is unrivaled in quality and the brand is committed to purity in base materials and production standards. The Hydro Cell Team offers superior customer service, high-quality materials, and a life-time warranty.
Please share these important reasons to stop buying water bottles with your friends and family.
Last update on 2020-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API