We all buy or have bought bottled water for the sake of convenience. Or we buy it because we’ve been made to believe that it is better than tap water. Even though there has never been any proof that water sold in plastic containers is better than tap water, many people remain skeptical of tap water.
While there have been incidents of a water crisis like in Flint, Michigan, the vast majority of North America has a robust infrastructure to deliver clean, fresh drinkable water to its residents. While it is easier to just grab a plastic bottle instead of filling a reusable container with tap water, here are 8 eye-opening reasons to stop buying bottled water.
1) Plastic bottles, even BPA-Free varieties, can leach chemicals into its contents.
You’re probably aware of BPA, the compound found in some plastics that mimic estrogen. While many plastic producers now manufacture BPA-free bottles, NPR has reported that many other chemicals other than BPA leaches its way out of your plastic bottles. It’s possibly one of the reasons why drinking water from plastic containers left out in the sun too long tends to have a chemical aftertaste.
Researchers of the study found that over 70% of the 450+ plastic bottles they tested contained chemicals that also acted like estrogen. They concluded that even plastic bottles labeled BPA-free may contain other dangerous chemicals or compounds.
2) Most of the bottled water on store shelves is tap water anyways.
You may have already heard the joke that EVIAN spelled backward is N-A-I-V-E. While amusing, it’s actually the town the spring is located in. But while some bottled water is actually spring water, as many as 64% of all brands are simply glorified tap water according to EcoWatch. Brands like Aquafina and Dasani have even included labels on their products letting consumers know that their water is taken from a ‘public water source.’
Many water brands even put pictures of an oasis or an isolated lake in a jungle on their marketing material; however, chances are, it’s just plain tap water. And bottled water costs 2000 times more!
3) Tap water is actually safer than bottled water.
It’s no secret that the bottled water industry is not as tightly regulated as tap water from your municipal water system. According to the NRDC, tap water has to be tested at least 100 times every month and many cities may test their water as many as 5-6 times a day. On the other hand, bottled water companies are required to test their water for bacteria only once a week.
In other words, they have different regulations when it comes to water quality. So the next time you see the word “pure” on a water bottle label, you may want to investigate further.
4) Bottled water isn’t healthier or superior to tap water.
Thanks to slick marketing campaigns by the water bottle industry, many consumers are convinced that water sold in plastic bottles is healthier or better than tap water. This just isn’t true.
Referring back to the report by the NRDC, a four-year review of 1,000 water bottles did not find any evidence that bottled water was superior to tap water. In fact, researchers found that 22 percent of the water brands tested contained chemicals at levels above state health limits.
5) Plastic bottle production is bad for the environment.
Plastic bottles are made by converting natural resources like crude oil, natural gas, or coal to produce polymers or plastic. According to a fact sheet from the Pacific Institute, it takes 17 million barrels of oil yearly to produce enough plastic bottles for the American market alone.
It also takes 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of bottled water because ironically, it also takes water to produce plastic water bottles.
6) Landfills (and the ocean) are getting filled with bottles.
All of the resources needed to produce plastic bottles and where do they end up? Our landfills and the ocean at an increasingly alarming rate. Most bottles are PET (polyethylene terephthalate) bottles which means they can be recycled. Unfortunately, only 1 in 6 bottles ever makes it to the recycling center. The others end up in your local landfill.
According to estimates by The Water Project, U.S. landfills are overflowing with over 2 million tons of PET plastic products. Unfortunately, it’s no longer landfills that feel the effects of our plastic society. Plastic Oceans estimates that over 8 million tons of plastic are dumped into our oceans every year. Some estimate that by 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
7) Bottled water is ridiculously expensive.
Many people complain about the price of gasoline; however, it’s more likely cheaper anywhere in the country compared to the same amount of bottled water. While the average price for a gallon of fuel is $3.97, the average price for a gallon of water sold in bottles is $10.67. It’s even more shocking when you compare it to a gallon of tap water which costs less than a penny.
Food & Water Watch reports that bottled water costs thousands of times more than regular tap water. No matter how much your municipal taxes are, your water bill is only a tiny fraction of what it would cost for the same amount of bottled water.
8) Bottled water contains tiny bits of plastic.
Because of all the plastic waste that ends up in our oceans, tiny bits of plastic are now finding their way into water bottles. According to the CBC, microplastics were found in 93% of all plastic water bottles tested in a recent study. In other studies, microplastics were also found in most brands of sea salt.
Eleven brands were tested including Nestle Pure Life, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, San Pellegrino, and Gerolsteiner. All of them contained some level of microplastics such as polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate. I like to enjoy my water with a little ice but hold the plastic, please!
H/t: Little Things
There are instances where drinking bottled water makes more sense like if you get your water from a well; however if your water comes from a treated local water supply, tap water couldn’t be safer or healthier. If you have to choose between water or a sugary drink, obviously water is the clearer choice (no pun intended). But choosing tap water over water sold in bottles is a no-brainer.
Need to take water on the go?
Simply purchase refillable water containers and they’ll pay for themselves the first time you use them!
- Vacuum Insulated: Simple Modern licensed drinkware is double-walled and vacuum insulated, which keeps your favorite beverage hot or cold for hours
- Premium 18/8 Stainless Steel: Bottle is made from high-quality, food-grade 18/8 stainless steel and is coated in a durable paint
- 2 Lids Included: All bottles come with our Stainless Steel Lid and leak proof Flip Lid
- Premium Copper Coated Insulation Layer: The exterior of the inner wall, in the vacuum sealed area, is coated in a thin layer of copper for added insulation
- Why Simple Modern: Our core principles of Generosity and Excellence have inspired us to sell high quality products, act as great partners with everyone we interact with, and give away a minimum of 10% of our profits
- 【Motivational Quote & Time Marker】With unique inspirational quote and time marker on it, this water bottle is great for measuring your daily intake of water, reminding you stay hydrated and drink enough water throughout the day. A must have for any fitness goals including weight loss and overall health.
- 【1 Gallon Large Capacity】With large capacity (128oz) let you enjoy one full water bottle/jug without having to refill it frequently. Featured with transparent appearance help you check the actual amount of water intake easily and clearly. Wide-mouth opening is easy to fill with ice cubes and clean.
- 【Lightweight & Portable】Made of quality leakproof plastic, this water bottle is a great companion for you in daily water drinking. It is also lightweight yet durable to use. Perfect for gym, workout, office and outdoor recreations.
- 【Convenient & Ideal Gift】With a carry handle, equipped with flip top opening mechanism, this water bottle makes you easier to carry it to anywhere. Comes with a variety of vibrant colors, it is an ideal for your beloved ones, to help them keep hydrated and healthy.
- 【Purchase Tips & Capacity Note】- If there is any problem, just contact with us, we will handle with it immediately. About Capacity: Please note that 128 oz refers to the capacity when you contain your bottle with water that filled from the top to the bottom of this bottle. For design reasons, the highest height we can print is the spot of 116 oz.
- Vacuum Insulated: Keep your drink cold for hours with the double-walled, insulated Summit water bottle.
- Leak Proof Straw Lid: Our BPA-free Summit Straw Lid is leak-proof when the nozzle is in the closed position; US Patent Pending
- Durable: Our Kids Summit water bottles are coated in a durable finish.
- The 14-22oz Summit water bottles fit in most cupholders. The 32-84oz Summit water bottles do not fit in most cupholders.
- Dishwasher Safe: The Summit Kids water bottles are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
- COMES W/BONUS CAP – PLEASE SEE PHOTOS. Each bottle comes with two lids. The Hydro Cell Water Bottle comes standard with an attached stainless-steel screw cap which creates an air tight vacuum seal and is great for travel and outdoor adventures. The Hydro Cell also comes with a bonus Sport Cap w/ Straw, this lid is not 100% air tight due to the moving parts and is great for athletics and urban specific activity.
- NO SWEAT, NO PROBLEMS – This water bottle comes with the highest grade 18/8 Stainless Steel available which is fully resistant to oxidation and corrosion. The anti-slip layer of Powder Coating ensures you hang on to your bottle during a work out, hike or yoga. Hydro Cell is perfect companion for all activities.
- ENGINEERED TO KEEP LIQUIDS PERFECTLY COLD OR HOT – The water bottle comes double walled and vacuum sealed to make sure you experience zero condensation and the temperatures of your beverages last in an insulated chamber. Cold liquids stay cold for 24 hours, and hot liquids will stay piping hot for up to 8 hours making it the perfect sports or commuting bottle. Our manufacturing process has been innovated to ensure your bottle NEVER sweats or leaks.
- BPA & BY-PRODUCT FREE- The stainless steel will allow you to avoid BPA and Plastic By-Products found is so many bottles today. The Hydro Cell ensures your reusable water bottle avoid the polymers, plasticizers and other synthetic elements found in other bottles.
- HIGHEST QUALITY GUARANTEED - The Hydro Cell is unrivaled in quality and the brand is committed to purity in base materials and production standards. The Hydro Cell Team offers superior customer service, high-quality materials, and a life-time warranty.
- Lend a hand - easy one-handed drinking with no lids to remove or lose
- Cleaner drinking - protective spout cover helps keep out gross dirt and germs
- Seal it in - leak-proof lid (when closed) for on-the-go convenience
- Lock it up - button lock for added peace of mind
- Carry on - clip on handle attaches to bags, gear, keys and more; perfect fit - Fits most car cup holders
Please share these important reasons to stop buying water bottles with your friends and family.
Last update on 2020-07-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API