Before the 1970’s, most photographic images were not in color so our view of the past is normally only in black and white. Having the possibility of viewing historical photos in color gives us a whole new perspective on the event.
Colorized History, a terrific subreddit, is an incredible resource for colorized historical photos and really makes history feel a little closer. Viewing some of these events that happened over a hundred years ago, somehow doesn’t feel that long into the past because of the added color.
1) Marilyn Monroe.
2) W.H. Murphy and his associate demonstrating their bulletproof vest in October 1923.
3) Harry Houdini steps into a crate at New York Harbor as part of an escape stunt in July 1912.
4) Baltimore Slums, 1938.
5) Clint Eastwood working on his 1958 Jaguar XK 120 in 1960.
6) American Poet and essayist, Walt Whitman, 1868.
7) Charlie Chaplin at 27 years old, 1916.
8) British troops board the train for the first stage of their trip to the western front – England, September 20, 1939.
9) World War 2 soldiers on Easter.
10) Joan Crawford on the set of Letty Lynton in 1932.
11) Colorized historical photos of Times Square in 1947.
12) Drought-stricken farmer and his family near Muskogee, Oklahoma, 1939.
13) Sigmund Freud in 1921.
14) A car crash in Washington D.C., 1921.
15) Two boxers after a boxing event.
16) Louis Armstrong plays to his wife, Lucille, in Cairo, Egypt in 1961.
17) People standing in line in Louisville, Kentucky, 1939.
18) Henry Ford, 1919.
19) An RAF pilot getting a haircut between missions while reading a book.
20) Sophia Loren and Jayne Mansfield.
21) Lou Gehrig, diagnosed with ALS, is emotional after retirement speech on July 4, 1939.
22) Future President John F. Kennedy just after his graduation from Harvard, 1940.
23) Times Square, D-Day, 1944.
24) View from the Capitol in Nashville, Tennessee, during the Civil War, 1864.
25) Nazi Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels scowls at a Jewish photographer in 1933.
26) Burger flipper, 1938.
27) Cabs waiting in Madison Square Park, New York in 1900.
28) Helen Keller meeting Charlie Chaplin, 1919.
29) Red Hawk of the Oglala Sioux on horseback in the Badlands of South Dakota, 1905.
30) Clint Eastwood in 1962.
31) Albert Einstein and David Rothman on a Long Island beach in the summer of 1939.
32) Allan Pinkerton, President Lincoln, and Maj. Gen. John A. McClernand at Antietam in 1862.
33) Brothers Robert Kennedy, Edward Kennedy, and John F. Kennedy outside the Oval Office.
34) Louis Armstrong practicing in his dressing room, 1946.
35) Union Soldiers taking a break in 1863.
36) Cornell Rowing Team, 1907.
37) Australian mugshots from the New South Wales Police Dept in the 1920s.
38) Alfred Hitchcock.
39) Boys buying flowers, 1908.
40) Audrey Hepburn.
41) Charles Darwin.
42) Babe Ruth’s MLB debut in 1920.
43) Albert Einstein, 1921.
44) Unemployed lumber worker and his wife, 1939.
45) Big Jay McNeely at the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles, 1953.
46) Samurai Training, 1860.
47) Claude Monet, 1923.
48) Brooklyn Bridge, 1904.
49) Elizabeth Taylor, 1956.
50) Winston Churchill, 1941.
51) Mark Twain, 1900.
52) A Washington, D.C. gas station in 1924.
53) Brigadier General and actor Jimmy Stewart. Stewart flew 20 combat missions over Nazi-occupied Europe and even flew one mission during Vietnam.
54) Young women delivering ice in 1918.
55) The Hindenburg Disaster, 1937.
56) Lee Harvey Oswald being led down the Dallas Police Headquarter’s basement for questioning on November 23rd, 1963.
57) Famed painter and sculptor, Pablo Picasso.
58) A young boy seeing a television for the first time.
These colorized historical photos remind us of a time that seems so far away but yet so many things remain the same. If you like these colorized historical photos, you’ll enjoy 21 historical photos.
Please share these fascinating colorized historical photos with your family and friends.