More and more people are working from home and this trend is expected to continue. While having a dedicated home office space is nice, many people with limited space have been using the kitchen table or nook as their home office; however, there are better ways. For example, a bedroom or living room can quickly be transformed to accommodate a small but functional home office with some creativity.
Here are 5 simple ideas to stylishly create a functional home office even in the smallest space!
1) Create a transitional work zone.
If you don’t have a dedicated room for an office, create a work zone you can easily transition to a living zone. Nearly every room has at least one corner or small area that can be temporarily transformed into a functional work area by day but easily reverted back to living space at night.
This can be done by setting up a lightweight foldable desk that can be stored away when not in use. You can also use a laptop stand or tray to create a temporary workspace in your living room or bedroom.
- Small Folding Table★ DESIGN HIGHLIGHTS - The small folding desk has been assembled completely.Folding up and down quickly. The thickness of the folding laptop desk is only 4.5 inches, which is convenient for storage.
- Small Folding Table★ PERFECT FOR SMALL SPACES - This small space desk is suitable for laptop desk, small writing desk, sewing table,writing table,study table,so many other possible uses since it folds up.
- Small Folding Table★ MAIN MATERIAL - This teen desk frame is built with high-strength, thick tubing steel that is powder coated for a perfect finish. And the portable desk top surface is 3/4 inch thick, high resistance on scratch & friction.
- Small Folding Table★ OVERALL SIZE - 31 1/2"L * 15 3/4"W * 29 1/4"H , Net weight about 17.90lbs, Gross weight about 20.00lbs. The small sewing table maximum load capacity 220 lbs.
- Small Folding Table★ DAMAGE-FREE OR YOUR MONEY BACK - You no longer have to fear buying furniture online. We guarantee that your new small folding table is delivered to you damage-free, or we’ll give you a full refund. We won’t even charge you the return shipping.
2) Use wall space wisely when designing a home office.
If you don’t have the luxury of a lot of floor space, you can still create a stylish and functional home office by making use of wall space in the closet of a spare bedroom.
One smart idea is to install closet shelving that can serve as storage for office supplies like notebooks, pens, and other office essentials like printers or photocopiers.
- Expandable closet organizer with 2 adjustable-width hanging rods that can be moved up/down in 1-inch increments
- 10 adjustable-height shelves, 5 on either side; each shelf holds 100 pounds and can be raised/lowered in 1-inch increments
- Made of durable steel wire and plastic slip sleeves; sleek chrome finish; 4 extra-wide leveling feet for added stability
- Simple screw-together assembly; includes plastic shelf liners and wall-mounting hardware for safety
- Dimensions: 57 x 80 x 14 x 72 inches (LxWxH); weight: approximately 40 pounds
For a more temporary solution, you can also use removable adhesive caddies to hang up office supplies like pens, paper clips, and post-it notes on the walls of your home office.
- INCLUDES: 1 caddy, 4 clear indoor strip
- ORGANIZE DAMAGE-FREE - Say goodbye to holes, marks, or sticky residue on your walls, doors, cabinets, or closets; Command Caddies by 3M are easy to use and help keep your walls looking beautiful
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED- Organize spices and tea in the kitchen cabinet. Corral nail polishes and lipstick inside the vanity cabinet
- STRONG AND VERSATILE- Command wall organizers hold strongly on a variety of smooth indoor surfaces such as painted walls, tile, finished wood, glass, and metal
- REMOVES CLEANLY- Reorganize when inspiration strikes; These wall caddies leave no sticky adhesive behind; Perfect to use inside cabinets and closets, in your college dorm, apartment, home, and office
For seating, simply add a small desk chair that you can roll into your closet to store it away and be out of sight when not in use.
3) For a home office with limited space, go for simplicity.
There’s no need to feel like you need to have a permanent home office with visible office furniture in your bedroom or living room. Instead, consider getting stylish storage options that can double as your desk and chair. For example, you can get a set of nesting tables that you can use as your workspace during the day and switch it up as an extra end table when not in use.
- MODERN DESIGN: The styling of the nesting accent tables has farmhouse charm; The solid top keeps items secure; The streamlined style of the legs is classic yet modern; This contemporary table works with both modern and more traditional decorating schemes - it complements everything from industrial modern to rustic interiors; This set of 2 different height stable tables offers high design at a price that is right for everyone
- FUNCTIONAL STORAGE: These side or end tables are perfect for many spaces and places throughout your home; The staggered heights are on-trend and are ideal for storing, books, magazines, laptops, smart tablets, e-readers and more; mDESIGN TIP - Pair them next to a couch or sofa to create a versatile coffee table, they can be pulled apart when entertaining or when a gathering requires the need for several smaller tables
- COMPACT: These beautifully designed, simple tables are compact enough to fit small or tight spaces; This versatile accent table adds a touch of style to your decor and tucks neatly into smaller spaces, or works great as a side table in any space; The tabletop is the perfect display area for favorite photos, plants, lamps, and other decorative accessories, or just for setting down a cup of coffee or tea; These handsome tables are ideal for houses, apartments, condos, college dorm rooms, or cabins
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Made of strong steel metal with a durable rust-resistant finish: Assembles in minutes - easy to follow instructions and all hardware are included; Easy care - wipe clean with a damp cloth
- THOUGHTFULLY SIZED: Taller table measures 11.5" x 17.4" x 23.5" high, when fully assembled; The shorter table measures 10.5" x15" x 21.5" high
For seating, get a comfortable folding chair that can be stored away in a closet or under the bed when not needed.
4) Get a room…and divide it!
If you don’t have an extra room that you can dedicate to your home office, consider dividing up a bedroom or living room into two areas using an inexpensive room divider to create a work area and a living area. You can either get a room divider curtain for a bedroom or get a partition divider for a living room or kitchen.
For the work area, set up a simple desk with a chair and make sure there’s plenty of light for task-oriented work.
- Morden design: Great for home office, studio, bedroom and also kitchen as a dinning table
- Material: steel frame, powder coated finish, Environmental particle board.
- Easy to Assembly, step by step instruction and hardwares included.
- Dimension: 32" W x 16" D x 28" H
- Patent No: USD923988S; US20210244176
Then, for the living area, move your current furniture around to accommodate the new home office division you created to make it feel like your own liveable space when relaxing at night.
5) Think outside the box.
If you’re really struggling with limited space, get creative and think outside the box. There are plenty of places in your home that can be transformed into a functional and stylish home office with a little bit of imagination. For example, you can set up a wall-mounted desk (B075FKLWKT), use the space under the stairs, or even create a makeshift office in your garage.
- Great design wall mounted desk with storage shelves provides working space and extra plenty of storage space.
- Material: MDF and chipboard. Dimensions: W32.28 x D15.35 x H23.62inch.
- Weight: 29.10lbs. Load capacity: 66.14lbs.
- Item comes in a flat pack and requires self-assembly.
- Detailed instructions supplied.
With a little bit of creativity, you can easily create a stylish and functional home office in even the smallest space. By using some of these simple ideas, you can maximize your space and make working from home more enjoyable.
Please share these clever ideas for creating a home office in a bedroom or living room with your friends and family.
Last update on 2023-06-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API