They Told Her She Was Too Old to Drive. What This 98-Year-Old Woman Did Next Made Me Cheer.

Do you remember getting your license and how incredible that feeling of independence was? For seniors that have driven their entire lives, having their license taken away is just as traumatic as getting a cancer diagnosis.

Some would argue that senior citizens shouldn’t drive because they cause accidents; however, according to a report by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 7.5% of all accidents are caused by people over the age of 65. The other 92.5% are caused by drivers under the age of 65 and I know I would feel much safer driving with someone who doesn’t text and drive!

One woman, Evelyn, lives at an independent living community and she was told by some people that they felt she was too old to drive and had her license taken away. While she couldn’t drive anymore, she and her friend Joyce were thankful that they at least had bus service twice a week for doing their errands; however, this service was eventually cancelled by their community residence. Her friend Joyce felt she would have to move to another retirement home as she needed to go to the city on occasion for groceries and prescriptions.

Meet Evelyn. She is 98 years old and lives at an independent living community. Some people thought she was too old to drive and took away her license.

Meet Evelyn. She is 98 years old and lives at an independent living community. Some people thought she was too old to drive and took away her license.

YouTube / I Like Giving

Her best friend is Joyce. She depended on bus service to take her shopping but when it was cancelled, she was thinking of moving to a different retirement home.

Her best friend is Joyce. She depended on bus service to take her shopping but when it was cancelled, she was thinking of moving to a different retirement home.

YouTube / I Like Giving

Losing her license was one of the most heartbreaking experience for Evelyn. She wanted to help her friend in the best way she can.

Losing her license was one of the most heartbreaking experience for Evelyn. She wanted to help her friend in the best way she can.

YouTube / I Like Giving

“I was heartbroken. It made me feel old. It made me feel useless,” said Evelyn, “I am a good driver. I’m not fearful when I drive, but I’m very careful and obey the rules.”

She decided to go to the license bureau to get her license back.

She decided to go to the license bureau to get her license back.

YouTube / I Like Giving

She took the test…

She took the driving test...

YouTube / I Like Giving

…And Evelyn passed and got her driver’s license back.

...And Evelyn passed and got her driver's license back.

YouTube / I Like Giving

Evelyn says that her daughter often tells her, “mom, you shouldn’t do this. You shouldn’t that.” But Evelyn follows by saying she does what she pleases and would never do anything dangerous. Way to go Evelyn!!

Evelyn says, “I don’t have money to give but I can give myself and my time…”

Evelyn says, "I don't have money to give but I can give myself and my time..."

YouTube / I Like Giving

She did something incredible to help her friend. Her determination also allowed her to get her independence and confidence back.

She did something incredible to help her friend. Her determination also allowed her to get her independence and confidence back.

YouTube / I Like Giving

Watch this great story of how Evelyn helped a friend in need by giving back.


YouTube

I am so happy for Evelyn and for her determination to get her independence back.

My mother also had her driver’s license taken away at 77 years old because some nervous siblings felt she was too old to drive. While she is one of the most emotionally strong people I know, it broke her heart. When she read the letter informing her that her driver’s license was taken away and then realizing that she would never sit behind the wheel of a car again, she couldn’t hold back the tears.

Please share this heartwarming story of a 98-year-old woman getting her license back to help a friend in need with your friends and family.

Facebook Comments

Thanks for sharing! Like us on Facebook for more stories like this!