Having grown up in the 80s, I love the fact that I grew up alongside technology. Technology doesn’t always make life easier but products like the Sony Walkman that allowed you to enjoy your music on the go or the VHS and DVD players that brought the newest blockbusters to your own living room surely made life pretty awesome in the 80s and 90s. Perhaps the biggest revolution was the world wide web and kids born after the year 2000 will never understand the struggle of growing up in the 80s and 90s.
We couldn’t rent movies at the click of a button or buy anything we wanted online and have delivered to our homes the next day. It’s amazing how far we’ve come in so little time. Here are 33 things that kids born after the 90s will never understand!
1) When you impressed kids in class by owning one of these.
2) When trading Pokémon meant using trading cards.
3) When cereal boxes actually had toys in them.
4) When your favorite video game wouldn’t play so you had to do this.
5) When taking selfies meant using a low-resolution webcam.
6) When you constantly would get AOL free trial CDs in the mail.
7) When your VHS tape would get eaten by the player and you’d have to roll it back up manually.
8) When you had to whip out your CD collection every time you wanted to play a song.
9) When you actually had to pass around notes in class. No texting here!
10) When your dad took out this card, it was going to be an epic movie night.
11) When you got one of these for your birthday.
12) When you had to wait for hours or days to see your photos as they developed. Picking up your photos was so much fun too.
13) When you would play your favorite song and it kept skipping.
14) When handheld gaming used to mean playing with this.
15) When you wanted to listen to your music on the go.
16) When you had to schedule calls so you didn’t waste your minutes.
17) When you didn’t have to worry about battery percentages.
18) When Internet Explorer would crash while you surfed the internet.
19) When you used your VCR to record your favorite show and played it back to only find this.
20) When you had to look through the Yellow Pages to find a business number.
21) When you had to use floppy disks to save your homework in computer class.
22) When you had to take out a map to get to your destination.
23) When you would call your friend’s house and had to make awkward small talk if their mom or dad picked up.
24) When you had to crimp your hair for date night.
25) When you actually had to use these two things together.
26) When you used this to make a decision or predict your future.
27) When the only game you had on your phone was the Snake game.
28) When phones only had megabytes instead of gigabytes of memory and you had to decide which messages to delete.
29) When you downloaded songs from the internet only to find out they were taken from the radio and had DJ’s speaking over them.
30) When you had to deal with this tangled mess every time you wanted to make a call.
31) When the annoying little Clippy guy kept popping up when using MS Word.
32) When the only good game on your computer was Solitaire and you had to go through this menu to play it.
33) When you had to get off the internet because your mom or dad had to make a phone call.
The struggle was real and kids born after the year 2000 will never understand what living in the 80s or 90s was really like.
Please share these real-life struggles that kids today will never understand with your friends and family.