Have you ever heard a song repeatedly on the radio or in movies but never thought of looking up who sang it? For me, it was ‘Somewhere Over The Rainbow’ performed by the late Israel Ka’ano’i Kamakawiwo’ole. Within the first few seconds of hearing the ukelele playing, I’m sure you’ll remember the song which is calming and beautiful.
Along with being a prolific musician, Kamakawiwoʻole was a strong supporter of Hawaiian rights and Hawaiian independence. His career ended early because of multiple health issues and complications due to obesity. He passed away at the age of 38 in 1997 but his music will always be remembered and so will Israel.
“Somewhere Over The Rainbow” performed by Israel Ka’ano’i Kamakawiwo’ole…
He was affectionately known as the “Gentle Giant” by his fans and peers but his legacy lives on.
- “He is not dead. He is somewhere over the rainbow:,)” – TYLER TYSON 200
- “He’s not dead. He’s on the other side of the rainbow.” – Nick
- “He is not dead! He’s just…on the rainbow and comes visits us in heaven and when he’s done he goes somewhere over the rainbow…:,) rest in peace. 🙏🏻🙏🏼🙏🏽🙏🏾🙏🏿”
- “Autotune 0%. Cringe 0%. Sex 0%. Drugs 0%. Alcohol 0%. Pure legendary Talent 100%.” – Lennart
- “He’s with Kanaloa and all of his ancestors now, may blessings be with us Polynesians.” – Manoa
- “Don’t worry guys, somewhere over the rainbow, everything will be back to normal. Just hold on… ☺️🙏” – Frog the Pepe
- “I love how the song was posted 10 years ago and still people come back to listen to it every day. This really is one of the best songs ever and it will forever live on through all his songs.” – Gabegabriel