I think there comes a point in everyone’s life where you just want to invite some friends and take on the open road for an epic road trip. Summer is definitely the time to do it but where do you start? If you are planning an epic road trip across the USA, the best and most perfect road trip has already been planned for you!
This epic road trip has been designed to hit major landmarks in every one of the 48 contiguous United States. The Statue of Liberty, the Grand Canyon, the Hoover Dam, and even a visit to Mount Rushmore are all here. Seeker Media has partnered with Randy Olson, a doctoral candidate at Michigan State University to plan the perfect road using a computer algorithm. According to his blog, Olson not only had the challenge of producing a road trip that hits 50 major landmarks, he also had to find the most efficient routes and ensure that you can start the road trip from anywhere in America.
Seeker Media and Randy Olson, a doctoral candidate at Michigan State University may have created the most perfect road trip ever!
It’s summertime and the open road is calling out your name. Get some friends together and hit the open road!
This epic trip was planned by Olsen and his algorithm allows you to start in any state! Using the map below, drive to the closest point in your state and keep driving the open road!
Click here for a closeup view of the actual map with plot points.
On this epic road trip, here are all of the infamous landmarks you’ll get to visit:
- Grand Canyon, AZ
- Bryce Canyon National Park, UT
- Craters of the Moon National Monument, ID
- Yellowstone National Park, WY
- Pikes Peak, CO
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park, NM
- The Alamo, TX
- The Platt Historic District, OK
- Toltec Mounds, AR
- Elvis Presley’s Graceland, TN
- Vicksburg National Military Park, MS
- French Quarter, New Orleans, LA
- USS Alabama, AL
- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, FL
- Okefenokee Swamp Park, GA
- Fort Sumter National Monument, SC
- Lost World Caverns, WV
- Wright Brothers National Memorial Visitor Center, NC
- Mount Vernon, VA
- White House, Washington, DC
- Colonial Annapolis Historic District, MD
- New Castle Historic District, Delaware
- Cape May Historic District, NJ
- Liberty Bell, PA
- Statue of Liberty, NY
- The Mark Twain House & Museum, CT
- The Breakers, RI
- USS Constitution, MA
- Acadia National Park, ME
- Mount Washington Hotel, NH
- Shelburne Farms, VT
- Fox Theater, Detroit, MI
- Spring Grove Cemetery, OH
- Mammoth Cave National Park, KY
- West Baden Springs Hotel, IN
- Abraham Lincoln’s Home, IL
- Gateway Arch, MO
- C. W. Parker Carousel Museum, KS
- Terrace Hill Governor’s Mansion, IA
- Taliesin, WI
- Fort Snelling, MN
- Ashfall Fossil Bed, NE
- Mount Rushmore, SD
- Fort Union Trading Post, ND
- Glacier National Park, MT
- Hanford Site, WA
- Columbia River Highway, OR
- San Francisco Cable Cars, CA
- San Andreas Fault, CA
- Hoover Dam, NV
If you are planning an epic road trip this summer, you definitely can’t go wrong with this one. Please share this perfect road trip according to science with your friends and family.