If your home has “textured” or popcorn ceilings, you may find yourself wanting to remove it but typical popcorn ceiling removal is a lengthy process. Some people spray the area with a water bottle and scrape it off once it softens but this can be messy since it usually ends up on the floor.
Aaron Rollins might have come up with the best hack ever to remove popcorn ceilings and it requires only a few supplies. He duct taped a wide putty knife to the end of a vacuum hose and the suction removes all of the particles after he scrapes them off. You have to see this in action and once you do, you may never need to find an easier way to remove popcorn ceilings.
What’s his secret to easily remove popcorn ceilings without making a mess?
As you can see in the image above, he duct taped a 6-inch putty knife (also called a spackling knife) to the end of a Shop-Vac nozzle to easily remove popcorn ceilings without making a mess. To further eliminate dust in the house, he has the vacuum exhaust hose expelling all debris outside.
Popcorn ceiling removal made easy…Watch and see for yourself!
Here are some additional popcorn ceiling removal tips:
- You can easily do this without spraying your ceiling first as the putty knife scrapes through with ease. But if you want to reduce dust particles and make it even easier to scrape through, taking the time to spray your ceiling first will make a difference.
- To further, reduce dust, most shop vacs have an attachment for an exhaust hose. As you can see in the video, an exhaust hose is blowing debris outside via the window which will further prevent dust from blowing around in your home.
- As recommended by some readers in the comments section, you may want to ensure that your popcorn ceiling doesn’t contain asbestos if you have an older home. According to the EPA, the use of asbestos in popcorn ceilings was banned in 1977 and homes built on or before that time may contain asbestos fibers in the textured ceiling. How do you know if your textured ceiling contains asbestos? You can purchase asbestos test kits from Amazon or contact an asbestos abatement professional in your area.
To recap, all you need are 3 tools and supplies to get the job done and all of them are available at your local hardware store or Amazon.
1) A Shop-Vac vacuum or any vacuum that has an exhaust and a good, powerful motor. Check this post to find the most appropriate shop-vac for your need.
- POWERFUL & PORTABLE: This wet/dry vacuum has a 5-gallon stainless steel tank & a 4.5 peak horsepower motor. Maneuverable full circumference dolly, & top & side carry handles enhance its portability.
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: This wet/dry vac includes 1.25 " diameter accessories: 7-foot hose, 3 extension wands, crevice tool, gulper nozzle, floor nozzle, plus cartridge filter, foam sleeve & filter bag.
- GOT DIRT? Shop-Vac's full line of products includes cordless, rechargeable wet dry vacuums, automotive vacuum systems, air movers, attachments & more. Whatever the job, Shop-Vac has you covered!
- AN AMERICAN ORIGINAL: Shop-Vac offers the most complete line of vacuum cleaners, bags, filters, attachments, kits, & other cleaning tools available for home, industrial, & commercial applications.
- TOUGH & DEPENDABLE: Shop-Vac Corporation is the recognized world leader in wet/dry vacuum cleaners. Since 1965, we have made innovative, high quality vacuum cleaners, filters, bags, & other accessories.
2) A six-inch spackle or putty knife with preferably a steel blade.
- Taping knife
- High carbon steel blade
- Rust resistant
- Great value at a low cost
3) And duct tape to secure the putty knife to the end of the vacuum nozzle.
- Recommended for temporary household repairs including holding, seaming, sealing and bundling
- Works on a variety of surfaces, including wood, vinyl, plastic, leather, metal and laminate
- Tears easily by hand without curling for quick fixes
- Conforms to uneven surfaces for difficult DIY projects that involve corners, bends and curves
- Strong adhesion with waterproof backing for both indoor and outdoor use
Alternatively, there is a new product called POP EEZE which eliminates the need to secure a putty knife to your vacuum nozzle.
- Note that this product is NOT recommended for popcorn ceilings that have been painted over. Please check your ceiling before buying. ***
- New Product: The patent pending POPeeze tool will make the job of popcorn ceiling removal much safer, cleaner and more efficient than conventional methods. Attach POPeeze to your shop vacuum hose and a pole to make the difficult task of removing popcorn ceilings much easier!
- CLEANER: No more scraping the ceiling texture and allowing the debris to fall to the floor. Popeeze generates significantly less mess to clean up than conventional methods
- EFFICIENT: Much quicker than conventional methods – no need to replace bags every few minutes or scrape with a putty knife
- What you get: One funnel, three blades, written instructions and tips in English and Spanish. ****Note that this product is NOT recommended for popcorn ceilings that have been painted over.
I would never have expected popcorn ceiling removal to be this easy and without creating a mess all over the place! Please share this incredible hack for easily removing popcorn ceilings with your friends and family.
Last update on 2021-09-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API