It’s often said that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. For Willie Nelson’s son Lukas, this holds true as he clearly inherited his father’s unmistakable voice. In a late-night jam session, Lukas Nelson decides to sing an impromptu cover of his father’s classic song ‘Always On My Mind’ and it sounds fantastic.
There are no studio tricks here. It is simply Lukas Nelson, a microphone, and talented studio musicians and his performance will give you goosebumps. Lukas tours regularly with his band ‘Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real’ but this intimate performance of ‘Always On My Mind’ truly demonstrates his incredible talent.
Watch Lukas Nelson perform a cover of his father’s classic song, ‘Always On My Mind’…
Willie Nelson released ‘Always On My Mind’ as a single in 1982. It tore up the charts and ended up being Billboard’s biggest country hit of 1982. It also won Song of the Year, Best Country Song, and Best Male Country Vocal Performance for Nelson at the 25th Grammy Awards in 1983. If you missed it, watch this touching duet of Willie Nelson and Loretta Lynn singing ‘Lay Me Down’. Their first duet in over 30 years!
Here are our favorite YouTube comments from the video, “Lukas Nelson: You Were Always On My Mind” by Jay Curlee:
- “Wow does he sound like his father. I love it.” – Madame Stitches
- “The pianist is my brother, who toured with Willie & Waylon back in the day.” – mewsic1
- “Well, we’ll be able to go hear Willie sing live for another 50 years or so.” – Againan Again
- “It’s totally bizarre to hear Willie’s voice come out of that guy.” – KMFDM781
- “Oh ooh my…Ooh my…Marvelous…Hearing hints of his father, and then his own sound, too ooh I am going to cry…This is glorious…” – sheri solomon
Please share this unbelievable ‘unplugged’ performance of ‘Always On My Mind’ by Lukas Nelson with your friends and family.