Although some people are good at small talk, for many of us it can be a bit of a challenge. It’s especially difficult when you’re meeting someone new and don’t know what questions to ask. When you’re getting to know someone, the best questions are always the ones that help you learn more about them.
Here are 115 of our favorite “get to know you” questions that help break the ice and encourage conversation. Whether you’re on a first date or just getting to know a new friend or coworker, these questions can help facilitate a more meaningful connection. Enjoy!
Good “Get To Know You” Questions
1) Are you an early bird or a night owl?
2) Are you a thrill-seeker?
3) What’s your claim to fame?
4) Do you collect anything?
5) Do you have any hobbies?
6) How much time do you spend with your family?
7) If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
8) What is your favorite family holiday?
9) In your free time, what do you like to do?
10) What makes you feel nervous?
11) What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever seen?
12) What quirks do you have?
13) What are your hobbies?
14) Where would you rather be from?
15) What would you change about yourself if you could?
16) Do you enjoy hiking, camping, or outdoor adventuring?
Fun “Get To Know You” Questions
17) If you could be any animal, what would you be?
18) Do you have any weird superstitions?
19) What are the best and worst purchases you’ve ever made?
20) Can you tell me an embarrassing story?
21) If you could choose a superpower, what would it be?
22) If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
23) Do you think our dreams have hidden meanings?
24) What’s your favorite snack at the movies?
25) If you could grow anything in the garden, what would it be?
26) How do you show kindness to others?
27) If you could bring back any fashion trend, what would it be?
28) What is the best smell?
29) How often do you play sports?
30) What’s your favorite sports team to root for?
31) If you could open a store, what would you sell?
32) What’s the weirdest thing in your backpack/purse right now?
33) If you were allowed to steal any one thing, what would it be?
34) What is the most ridiculous nightmare you have ever had?
35) Who is your hero?
36) If you could have any extinct animal as a pet, which would you choose?
37) What’s your favorite way to spend a day off?
Great “Get To Know You” Questions
38) What are you the proudest of?
39) Do you have a significant other?
40) What do you hope never changes?
41) Have you ever volunteered in your community?
42) What is your favorite family vacation?
43) What is something you are really good at?
44) Who do you most like spending time with and why?
45) What really makes you angry?
46) What situations make you feel most anxious?
47) Are you a clean freak, or do you prefer when things are a little messy?
48) What is your biggest fear?
49) What’s your favorite tradition (holiday or otherwise)?
Basic Questions to Ask When Learning About Someone
50) What’s your dream car?
51) What is your favorite book?
52) What’s your favorite drink?
53) What’s your favorite snack?
54) What’s your favorite song?
55) What type of music are you into?
56) What is your favorite color?
57) Are you a dog person or a cat person (or neither)?
58) What’s your favorite TV show?
Interesting “Get To Know You” Questions
59) Are you usually early or late?
60) If you could be any age, what would it be?
61) What’s the funniest name you can think of for a pet?
62) Have you ever been in love? How did you know?
63) If you could speak to one deceased person for thirty seconds, who would it be and what would you say?
64) What inanimate object do you wish you could eliminate from existence?
65) Would you rather read a book or watch a movie?
66) What’s the silliest thing you can think of?
67) If you could snap your fingers and become an expert in something, what would it be?
68) What’s something most people like but you don’t understand?
69) If the space program was looking for volunteers to explore an alien planet, would you sign up?
70) What do you think is the greatest invention in your lifetime and why?
71) Which of the following traits do you think best describes you: funny, thoughtful, caring, or outgoing?
72) Who is your role model?
73) Would you rather live in a world without television or without computers?
74) If you found out you were going to die without the chance to speak to anybody, what would you regret never saying and to whom? Why haven’t you said it yet?
75) What’s your weirdest roommate or house guest story?
Questions for Learning More About Your Co-workers
76) What’s a work lesson you’ve had to learn the hard way?
77) What do you do at [Company] and in what circumstances would I come to you for something?
78) Do you have any special skills?
79) Have you always worked in your current profession?
80) How do you like to spend your time outside of work?
81) What is your favorite thing about your career?
82) If you could choose your own work schedule, would you?
83) What job would you be terrible at?
84) Is there one job you’d never ever do?
85) What motivates you to work hard?
86) What is your position?
87) Where do your family members work?
88) If you could have any career on the planet, what would it be and why?
89) What is your biggest complaint about your job?
“Get To Know You” Questions for Couples
90) Can you describe what your first heartbreak was like?
91) Do you believe in love at first sight?
92) How does your life compare to how you imagined it growing up?
93) How do you see the future individually and collectively as a couple?
94) What’s something you used to believe about relationships, but no longer do?
95) What was the biggest lesson from your worst breakup?
96) What do you think is your best quality?
97) Who was your first crush, and what were they like?
98) Would you trade intelligence for looks or vice versa?
99) What was your favorite food growing up?
“Get To Know You” Questions for Students
100) What is the best part of virtual learning?
101) What is your dream job?
102) How do you like to spend your time outside of school?
103) What does a typical day look like for you?
104) If you could trade places with anyone for a day, who would it be?
105) What is your proudest academic accomplishment?
106) Is it easier for you to learn by reading, by listening, or by doing?
107) What makes a teacher a really good teacher?
108) What is one thing you are looking forward to this school year?
109) Who’s the best teacher you ever had?
110) What TV or movie family is your family most like?
111) What is your favorite school subject?
112) Where do you see yourself in ten years?
113) What is your least favorite school subject and why?
114) What would you do if you made the rules at school?
115) If you had a social-emotional learning superpower, what would it be?
Please share these “get to know you” questions with your friends and family.