If you’re still drooling from past recipes such as cheesy bacon bombs or BBQ bacon sushi, prepare for more bacon goodness with Traeger’s BBQ meatball onion bombs. Imagine a luscious meatloaf meatball encased with an onion and then wrapping the entire thing with bacon drenched in BBQ sauce. Do I have your attention yet?
Team Traeger hit one out of the park with this BBQ recipe for Meatball Onion Bombs and it’s guaranteed to become a classic BBQ favorite with your family.
BBQ Meatball Onion Bombs Recipe
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 pound of bacon
- 2 yellow onions
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. spicy ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. spice rub (we recommend Traeger’s Prime Rib Rub)
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 bottle of BBQ sauce
1) Begin by peeling the onions and cutting each one in half to make onion “petals” which we’ll use to wrap around each meatball.
2) Next, mix together the ground beef, diced onions, parsley, mushrooms, brown sugar, spicy ketchup, spice rub, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and Panko bread crumbs.
3) The amount of meatballs will depend on how many onion layers you have so if you need more onions, simply create more onion halves as you need.
4) Once you’ve create all your meatballs, wrap them with three slices of bacon and secure bacon with toothpicks.
5) Place the meatballs in a baking dish and cook in a 425 degree oven for 40 minutes. Cover the meatballs with BBQ sauce and cook an additional 5-10 minutes or until your BBQ Meatball Onion Bombs have reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
You and your guests will just love these BBQ Meatball Onion Bombs. Don’t they look delicious?
If you would prefer to cook them in a smoker and grill them on the BBQ, here are alternate cooking directions from Team Traeger. Please share this awesome recipe with your friends and family.